Author Topic: Boeing 314 Clipper 1:144 scale  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Boeing 314 Clipper 1:144 scale
« on: April 17, 2021, 10:28:49 PM »
I've just finished this 1:144 scale Boeing Clipper. I wouldn't normally want to get too off topic but I can't help being pleased with this one. Not that it's perfect(!) but most of the challenges seem to have been met, and it'll be a nice companion for a previously made Dornier Do-X, and in due course a Martin 130 Clipper and a Short C Class boat.

It's the old Airfix kit and I have no idea how long ago I bought it. It fit together pretty well.  I cut away part of the hull bottom, then brought it to the waterline with a belt sander (does wonders for ones adrenalin). I added the mooring posts, and shifted the radio 'acorn' (don't know the correct term) slightly. The Stars and Stripes were completely out of register but luckily there were spare ones available in the Glencoe Models Martin 130 kit.

Most of my time was taken up with the walkway lines. It would have been very nice to have these on the decal sheet but no luck there. So I set to with reels of masking tape; and when it came to the curvy bits I just had to steady my hand, hold my breath and pray.

Mark

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Re: Boeing 314 Clipper 1:144 scale
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 10:44:52 PM »
Here's how it will hang. As you can see I made a very simple base with hidden wire.

It'll join a similarly mounted Dornier Do-X and in due course some other boats, and maybe some contemporary landplanes. There are some 1930s travel posters in the room as well.

Btw hanging like this meant the mooring line had to look as if it was hanging sideways, if you see what I mean. I resorted to stretching some sprue, something I hadn't done for many many years. A lot of sprue, and I still couldn't get it as thin as I wanted. There's definitely a knack...

Mark

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 11:00:39 PM »
These boats were so good looking. But they've had very little attention from kitmakers. In IM plastic, anyway. And to my knowledge the beautiful Short C Class hasn't been moulded at all in IM in any scale. To me that's criminal, for a plane so evocative of its era. (I have the Welsh Models resin kit to build some time). There should also be a Sikorsky S 42, one of the big Latecoere boats...

As so often happens, my love for the Boeing Clipper has only increased in the course of building it. It's historic IMO as the plane which truly mastered Transatlantic passenger air travel. All too briefly, before WWII. And I've been treated to a wealth of fabulously nostalgic images from the Golden Era of flying, views of these graceful planes floating at rest in tropical waters, waves gently lapping around...

Sorry, got quite carried away there!

Mark
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 11:04:43 PM by Bluesfan »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 11:51:51 PM »
That is a Gorgeous Model and display! Thanks for posting such a Fantastic build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 08:58:23 PM »
Much appreciated Rick, thanks for looking

Mark

Offline macsporran

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 09:09:04 PM »
Oh no!
Here was I blissfully unfocused on this(these) beautiful aeroplanes and now your gorgeous build has made me want to add these to my never ending list of future projects.
How dare you, Sir, how dare you tempt me with such a gloriously made siren as this. Have you no shame?
Sandy

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 01:18:30 AM »
Wow Mark ! She looks fabulous  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 04:56:01 AM »
OI clearly remember seeing this kit many (too many), years ago. That is a truly super model and a novel way of displaying it. Beautifully finished - never mind about the walkways or the stretched sprue - that is a model to be truly proud of.

Stephen.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 06:16:38 AM »
Thanks everybody - I promise I'll be back to proper biplanes soon :)

Sandy - No! No shame at all! Unless it's my shame that I've yet to visit the Foynes Flying Boat Museum in Ireland, devoted to these boats and the Golden Age of Air Travel - they even have a full scale replica of the Boeing.

Here's another pic; thanks Stephen, somehow the walkway markings challenge worked out okay I think.

Cheers
Mark

Offline DaveB

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 02:05:09 AM »
That's cracking, Mark

Great way to display your Clipper too.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!