Author Topic: A little lunch time philosophy...  (Read 2470 times)

Offline hrcoleman66

A little lunch time philosophy...
« on: April 07, 2021, 01:03:24 PM »
The discussion elsewhere about the speed that some people seem to like to build nudged me to open up the discussion around an idea that has been rattling around in my mind for a week or two.

Why I build/model at all.

1) a creative outlet - Whether I was playing the trumpet, pattering in the shed on my lathe or milling machine, creating a cad model for a 3d Print file or sitting at the bench sticking bits of glue together, I suppose I was creating something.  And that is something I need to do.

2) the relaxation (?) - Shutting everything else that is going on in my life out and concentrating solely on rigging a twin bay biplane will certainly focus your mind, but I'm not sure its relaxing...

3) problem solving - Problem solving is something I've done in my career for the last 25 plus years.  It's what I like to focus on in my job.  If there is no problem to solve and the work is just easy, then I get bored.  So I guess, this is also a big part of my modelling.  Working out how to get a particular finish or effect, working out a construction problem...

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline macsporran

Re: A little lunch time philosophy...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 04:49:37 PM »
You're very cerebral and inspirational, Hugh, but we know (just like the rest of us) that you build models so you can zoom the finished article through the air at arm's length, emitting rat-a-tat-tat gunfire and engine noises. 😃 😉
Sandy
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 05:10:54 PM by macsporran »

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 06:28:26 PM »
All of the above! Plus I actually really like looking at them afterwards.... miniatures in any form have always appealed to me. There are some old posts/ surveys on this forum on a similar theme.... it’s interesting that we all do this hobby for all sorts of reasons but clearly enjoy it immensely (if at times it is a tad frustrating....)

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 04:30:51 AM »
It's a hobby. That's what we do, enjoy a creative, relaxing past-time. When we consider the important tasks in life, looking after family, career, home, friends, pets and environment, this hobby pales into insignificance! Yet it is important to us, it is our happy place, our stress release and a really relaxing place to go! I will never stop modelling, in some form or another. I have two clubs I attend, the members are friends as well as fellow modellers and (sad to relate) the stash grows and grows... but I'm not sorry! People are different, but modellers create their own happiness... and right here on this site is an important, happy place for me too... Enjoy your modelling and hope to catch up with you all soon! Regards, Marc.

Offline alfageme

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 05:33:35 PM »
I think 3 reasons are ok for me. Sometimes modelling  is boring, not relaxing and you don`t create anything. But these 3 negative issues are related to the level of self-demand for improvement. In my case,  there is a lot of room for improvent, so I fully enjoy the hobby if f I don't let myself get carried away by comfort. No-relaxing is garanteed if I test a new technique. Relax only comes later if I am succesful.
By the way, the need to do something totally useless is for me,  an extra reason and the most powerful. A big difference with the world of work.
Regards, Santiago

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 10:40:31 PM »
Good breakfast philosophy too. The process is the main thing to me. Research, acquisition, build......okay flying it around the room too...

Steve

Offline skeeterbuck

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 11:10:17 PM »
Hugh,

I think you summed it up quite well in your original post...at least from my perspective.

I've also noticed that when I finish with a model, my interest in fades somewhat, and my new focus is onto my current subject. I recently had a kit that ended up getting damaged. (something was dropped on it) I was a little upset originally because I had put a good amount of work in it, but upon further reflection, it just a plastic model and, 1 - I can get another, and 2 - I'll build it even better the next time. I currently coming down the homestretch for it replacement and will post pic here.

Chuck

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 01:51:48 AM »
Major meltdown aside, I do love this hobby and this community.

Must...try...harder!

von B  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 09:34:08 AM »
Major meltdown aside, I do love this hobby and this community.

Must...try...harder!

von B  ;)

I must admit I was shocked that you binned the Pup rather than repair...  Maybe Covid has made us all a bit tetchy...   ;)

I'm finding that when things start to go wrong, even little things, it's best to just walk away for an hour or so and watch some netflix, or go for a walk.  I've spent a week rigging my BE12, and left it last night with only one flying left to do because I was struggling to get the monofilament to go through the tube.  I'll approach it again after work tonight when my head is in the right place.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 09:37:15 AM »
Hugh,

I think you summed it up quite well in your original post...at least from my perspective.

I've also noticed that when I finish with a model, my interest in fades somewhat, and my new focus is onto my current subject. I recently had a kit that ended up getting damaged. (something was dropped on it) I was a little upset originally because I had put a good amount of work in it, but upon further reflection, it just a plastic model and, 1 - I can get another, and 2 - I'll build it even better the next time. I currently coming down the homestretch for it replacement and will post pic here.

Chuck

I built my Blue Max Sopwith F1 Camel three times.  First time without rigging.  Second time with Heat stretched sprue rigging after the cat knocked it off the shelf and third time with Monofilament after a friends 2 yr old wanted to test it's glide ratio.  Each time I was happier with the result.

It's only a hobby... ?

It's a hobby.  Enjoy it.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 11:29:23 PM »
For me, your #1 and #3 are top reasons I build.  This hobby fits in with my lifestyle, as well.  This is my 'inside' hobby and my 'outside' hobby is cycling.  I'm glad my wife puts up with me and my hobbies.  She got a better appreciation for model building after going to the 2019 IPMS convention with me.

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 05:52:33 PM »
For me, your #1 and #3 are top reasons I build.  This hobby fits in with my lifestyle, as well.  This is my 'inside' hobby and my 'outside' hobby is cycling.  I'm glad my wife puts up with me and my hobbies.  She got a better appreciation for model building after going to the 2019 IPMS convention with me.

My wife not only tolerates my hobbies, but indulges, nay, encourages them.

I happened to let slip that my dream car had always been a Mazda MX5 (Miata in Europe, UK and USA).  A day later, we visited an acquaintance who is moving over seas and will be selling theirs...  today, I test drove it, and in a month, I’ll own it...  😉

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline macsporran

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 10:18:00 PM »

I happened to let slip that my dream car had always been a Mazda MX5 (Miata in Europe, UK and USA).  A day later, we visited an acquaintance who is moving over seas and will be selling theirs...  today, I test drove it, and in a month, I’ll own it...  😉

Cheers,

Hugh

You think you'll own it, Hugh, but in reality you'll find out why your wife is so supportive. I bought an MX5 (a nice Indiana, with leather and wood trim,) and my better half was exactly the same, but then I could never get to drive it.
I swapped for a series of more powerful sports cars - an Audi TT, a BMW Z4 and now a Porsche Boxster - in the hope she'd find them too much and I'd get sole charge but she just keeps getting behind the wheel.
She tells me she looks much better in the driving seat than me - and, you know, I kinda have to agree with her!
Sandy
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:22:20 PM by macsporran »

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 10:47:32 AM »

Cheers,

Hugh

You think you'll own it, Hugh, but in reality you'll find out why your wife is so supportive. I bought an MX5 (a nice Indiana, with leather and wood trim,) and my better half was exactly the same, but then I could never get to drive it.
I swapped for a series of more powerful sports cars - an Audi TT, a BMW Z4 and now a Porsche Boxster - in the hope she'd find them too much and I'd get sole charge but she just keeps getting behind the wheel.
She tells me she looks much better in the driving seat than me - and, you know, I kinda have to agree with her!
Sandy

Would you be surprised to hear that we have had this discussion already?

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 11:53:39 PM »
Sounds like you'll be getting 2 MX-5s.