Author Topic: Eduard Albatros DV and reference book  (Read 2531 times)

Offline phil2015

Eduard Albatros DV and reference book
« on: March 19, 2021, 11:31:39 PM »

Hi,

I will soon start on the 1/48 Eduard Albatros D V.  What good reference books are available for the Alb D V?  I assumed there would be a windsock datafile but it doesn't look like there is one currently available....

I've read in reviews that the undercarriage struts on this model are too short.  I was looking around for an aftermarket upgrade and couldn't find one.  Am I missing some?

Thanks,
Phil

Offline Kreston

I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single handed, fought seven of us for ten minutes. I saw him go into a fairly steep dive and so I continued to watch, and then saw the triplane hit the ground and disappear into a thousand fragments...James McCudden

Offline phil2015

Re: Eduard Albatros DV and reference book
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 04:41:12 AM »

Thanks, Kreston.  I have both a DIII and a DV kit and I noticed that the undercarriage struts are the same length in both kits.  Are they undersized for the DIII also or did they get beefed up between the III and the V?  I see the wheels are much beefier for the DV than for the DIII.

Offline Kreston

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 04:49:59 AM »
I asked Brian Fawcett about that and he only recommends the replacement struts for the DV. I'm not sure if that is a definitive answer, though.

Kreston
I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single handed, fought seven of us for ten minutes. I saw him go into a fairly steep dive and so I continued to watch, and then saw the triplane hit the ground and disappear into a thousand fragments...James McCudden

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 10:12:14 AM »
Remember that the wheels are also undersized on both the DV and the DIII. Brian does replacement wheels also. I think that will go a long way to fixing the DIII.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline phil2015

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 11:36:39 AM »
Remember that the wheels are also undersized on both the DV and the DIII. Brian does replacement wheels also. I think that will go a long way to fixing the DIII.
RAGIII

Interesting.  The wheels in the DV kit are larger than the wheels in the DIII kit, but they are still undersized?

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 09:15:01 PM »
The Eduard wheels on the D.III ae to small . The D.V kit the wheels are to thick . If you aren't able to find replacement struts you can add 3mm to the front and 2.5 mm on the rear with bit's of plastic sanded to shape .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 11:56:10 PM »
RAGIII

Interesting.  The wheels in the DV kit are larger than the wheels in the DIII kit, but they are still undersized?

They may have been corrected or I am just remembering wrong.  :o I do know the DIII wheels are too small.
RAGIII

Offline WD

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 05:15:36 AM »
Phil,
       For reference on the Albatros D.V, this volume is most definitely worth it if you can track down a used copy:

https://www.amazon.com/ALBATROS-D-Va-Fighter-Aircraft-National/dp/0874746337

Don't pay attention to the prices posted there, I'm sure someone, somewhere has a decent copy somewhere at a decent price.

I have some resin wheels which correct the undersized wheels on the earlier issue of the D.V kits if you're in need of those.

WD

Offline phil2015

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 05:47:32 AM »
Whoa!  Thanks for the book recommendation.  I thought _The Modern Phantom Guide_ was the most gouged book on a plane, but you have enlightened me further!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 05:54:31 AM »
Whoa!  Thanks for the book recommendation.  I thought _The Modern Phantom Guide_ was the most gouged book on a plane, but you have enlightened me further!

Mine fell apart at the seam so I will let it go for a Mere $200.00  ;D All kidding aside it is a great reference!
RAGIII

Offline WD

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2021, 11:02:27 PM »

Mine fell apart at the seam so I will let it go for a Mere $200.00  ;D All kidding aside it is a great reference!
RAGIII

I remember in the early 2000's all of us complaining about the poor binding and our copies falling apart. So far mine is still together, barely, but I'll do what others have and put the pages in page protectors and then in a three-ring binder.
Be patient Phil, a copy is bound to show up sooner or later for a more reasonable price.

WD

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 10:11:17 PM »
For the record -  an AbeBooks vendor has the Mikesh volume for $35.79US. Shipping to Canada is $27US, not sure where you are. HTH

Steve

Offline WD

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 09:42:19 AM »
For the record -  an AbeBooks vendor has the Mikesh volume for $35.79US. Shipping to Canada is $27US, not sure where you are. HTH

Steve

See??!!  I knew one would come up at a sensible price sooner or later.

WD

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2021, 05:02:29 PM »
You might be able to get it direct from the horses mouth!
https://airandspace.si.edu/research/publications/albatros-dva-german-fighter-world-war-i

cheers
Andrew