Author Topic: Lance's completed Roden Fokker Dr.1  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Lance's completed Roden Fokker Dr.1
« on: March 18, 2021, 11:34:44 AM »
  Here's my just completed 1:32 Roden Fokker DR.1. It's done as Manfred von Richthofen's 425/17, the aircraft he was fatally shot down in. The Build Log can be found at

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11857.0

The Kit was done with Decals from the Meng/Wingnut Wings release, Master Spandau guns and the Eduard PE Set for this model. As well it has a hand laminated and carved Axial Propeller.
    This as a good solid Kit, it builds well and has no major short comings. It's the second one I've completed.

...... and now I have three!

The one on the right is also from the Roden Kit, the Baron's 152/17, one of his "Spares". The third is his Brother Lothar's 454/17.
Cheers,
Lance
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline macsporran

Re: Lance's completed Roden Fokker Dr.1
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 05:07:21 PM »
Superb model, Lance - very eye catching and nicely finished. Along with your other two components of the 'Neundecker'!
(I see MvR has his Blue Max - hope the Barker Snipe has his VC too!)
Lovely display.
Sandy

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 09:46:29 PM »
I think this one is very appropriate for your collection.
The weathering, the dust and dirt avoids the toy-like look of the overall red scheme.  The paint chipping adds to the realistic appearance.
Bravo!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 10:55:35 PM »
Beautiful results. I Love the red shade and weathering Lance. I agree as to the overall quality of the Roden DR1. It is well worth the effort IMHO!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 11:36:33 PM »
Really enjoyed follow your progress on this build Lance and the outcome is one truly breathtaking model .

I also notice that your weathering of these beast has improved tenfold , each build gets better and better  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 01:18:40 AM »
Thank you all sincerely, it's always great to get comments and much more so when they are so supportive! I had to get Dave to move this post here as I entered it in "Specific Aircraft Build Links" in error. I'll toss a few photos there later on.
I should also mention that this Kit was supplied by Roden last year when I did the "In Box" short review of it. It's a great little Kit and I encourage your support of Roden, a supporter of our Forum.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 06:01:22 AM »
Super model and super build log Lance. IMHO the colours are just right - not toy like at all. The other two Dr 1's look excellent beside it - quite a collection there!

Stephen.

Offline ModelCellar

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 10:57:26 AM »
Lance,

Great finish !   ...and your collection is fantastic

Paul

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 05:08:01 AM »
Stephen, Paul,   
     Thank you both, I truly appreciate your comments. I plan to add the Encore F.1 in Voss' colors to the trio soon but having just done the two DR.1's I'm going to take a break between them with something different, probably something in the Off Topic category.
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 09:37:53 AM »
This is very interesting Lance! If I remember right WNW said at the beginning we do not a Dr.I, because there is one available.
Later they created the Dr.I, which we know now from Meng.
But your build here shows clearly, the original idea was right, so a careful modeler like you don't need the new kit for a nice Dr.I  ;)

Beautiful model and nice collection in your cabinet!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 11:32:45 PM »
   Thank you Frank, coming from a model builder of your talents such a comment means a lot! Hope you follow through with a DR.1 for your cabinet, it needs a "touch of red"! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 01:00:43 AM »
Nicely done Lance ! and makes for a superb trio in your collection .

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 03:43:10 AM »
As stated earlier Lance, outstanding build.  I like the color, not that bright red but closer to the old Aurora Metalic dark red  ;)  (Just kidding)  It's neat to see the Roden kits getting some daylight on the forum, they do build into nice models and you have shown with a little effort they look darned nice.  It's neat too seeing the Von Richthofen trio in your display case.  All nicely done.  But!  What's that on the shelf below? Is that, could it be a Boeing F4B-4?  Sacrilege!  8)
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline RichieW

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 06:43:04 AM »
Just catching up on what I've missed since last Summer. A lot of superb builds is what I've missed! This is a real classic scheme superbly executed.You still have the propeller carving magic too. Hope you are well.

Richie

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 11:36:32 AM »
   Thanks Mark, Ed and Richie! ...... and yes Mark, it is an F4B-4. Those "Yellow Wings"  are irresistible!

Cheers,
Lance