Author Topic: Your dentist is your best friend...  (Read 1014 times)

Offline ETG

Your dentist is your best friend...
« on: December 18, 2012, 10:36:04 AM »
... I mean, don't we all like to visit his office, once or twice a year ?  ;-)
It must have been over 20 years ago, when my dentist found out I was a fanatic scale modeler. He was too, so one
way or another, we found out about each other's hobby.
He asked me if I was interested in used drills, since they are used only once, ofcourse. Yes, I would like to see what he
had to offer. He told me to save a few dozen for me. He would sterilize them and I could pick them up a few days later.

So I did and went home with a handful of drills ! Maybe not hundreds, but 100 to 150, for sure. My current dentist also
knows about my hobby and he too gave me a handful of drills. Some were totally blunt and useless, some were like new.

Since these tools are made of very high, very strong steel, they are ideal to make your own tools out of. All you need
is a dentist's drill with a blunt head and a dremel with a grinding disc. On the left you can see a home-made tool :

There are round and long drills with diamond powder, on the far right our favorite: a reamer, used for root canal, etc..
And who would say 'No!' to a good root canal treatment? I had one. Didn't hurt at all, after all those injections...~~~~

Two shapes, round and tapered, long and short shaft :

After 20 years, these drills are still sharp, because I mainly use them on plastic. Years back, when I built brass HO trains,
their toughness clearly showed. I still use the same drills, today...!

So....send your dentist a nice Christmas card and tell him about your hobby !

Merry Christmas !

Offline IanB

Re: Your dentist is your best friend...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 11:38:17 AM »
Good tip Erik,
I also have and use a collection of dentist drills. I use the round end one a lot for thinning out the plastic around openings (cooling slots, rigging holes etc, ) so that it looks like a thin piece of aluminium or fabric, not a lump of plastic! Works a treat as long as your careful and use them hand held - they'll rip through plastic in a heartbeat if put in a drill!

Ian

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 01:25:44 PM »
    And I'll bet an awfull lot just get tossed. Thanks for bringing this up Erik, I'll be chatting with my Guy before I "open up" again!! 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 05:08:34 PM »
The thought of those drill bits screaming into action fills me with wobbly knee syndrome  :o ;D

:)
BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline drdave

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 06:55:03 PM »
Certainly in the UK you would not be able to get any oral cavity surgical tools, even if they have been resterilised.
They are disposed of because of the risk of Variant CJD.
You can buy stuff like this on eBay though and not too expensively. Dental tool kits are widely available.
Promise me you won't lick them though!

Offline IanB

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 12:31:32 AM »
That's a surprise Dave, I guess 'elf an' safety took over! I got all mine from my dentist in England many years ago. In fact he offered them to me when he found out my hobby.

Ian

Offline drdave

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 02:42:43 AM »
Keep Shtumm and blame John Selwyn Gummer " these Burgers are fine"!

Offline NP

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 06:56:35 AM »
My Hygenist gave me a "funny look" when I confessed I use the special small-head, long thin-handled toothbrush she gave me, to clean out my air-brush (well, it was just the tool for the job)