Author Topic: New Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk.I *Finished!  (Read 5564 times)

Offline Gisbod

New Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk.I *Finished!
« on: February 22, 2021, 03:25:36 AM »
Afternoon all,

After my trials and tribulations over the Fokker D.VII  :P - and a 4 month absence, I’ve decided to go for a mojo building Tamiya build   :)  to get me back in the swing.

The quite new Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I, golly what a super kit, I haven’t made a Tamiya kit for ages and what a pleasure it is already, what a shame they’ve never delved into WW1.

As it’s a confidence building exercise - it’ll be out of the box, just the Eduard ‘Look’ instrument panel (which comes with pre painted belts - one area you could improve on the kit - comes with their usual stiff, unpainted steel PE). I do have masks too (thanks Fredrik  ;D ). I’m planning on building Douglas Bader’s BoB mount - P9443, this is an option in the Eduard ‘Last of the Few’ boxing, but not in the Tamiya box, hence the masks (and they’re nicer anyway  :) ).

The Eduard Mk.I is smothered in detailed rivets, the Tamiya kit isn’t. I personally think they both look great, just comes down to personal preference. There’s also something luxurious about a Tamiya build, it feels like a guilty pleasure building one.

Here are some early shots - I cracked open the box yesterday afternoon. The cockpit looks really detailed. But as expected, everything just falls together with very little effort!

Guy

« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 05:41:25 AM by Gisbod »
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: New Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk.I
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 03:49:50 AM »
Great choice to slip back into the saddle with Guy, and no one can see too many Spitfires! I agree, Tamiya does a wonderful Kit and it is a shame they have avoided the WW.I era. My last "Off Topic" Build was their new 1:32 Scale Mk. IX Spit and it was an incredible and enjoyable box of modelling wonder! Based on that experience I couldn't resist their Mk. XVI boxing and I am much looking forward to it!
I'll be following this Build with interest, enjoy!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 06:58:53 AM »
Hi Lance,

Yes, I’ve built both of those and the Mustang, and as you say, it’s a modelling experience everyone should partake in!

Just imagine a WW1 1/48 series, it would be like getting Wingnuts back  :D

Guy

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 01:27:58 PM »
Will be following along on this one Guy  :) when I can

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 06:36:21 PM »
Glad to have you Alexis  :D

I finished off the interior yesterday, (Tamiya XF-71), all goes together like a dream as you’d expect. They manage to have a super detailed interior, but it’s simplicity itself to slot together.

I would thoroughly recommend the ‘Look’ instrument panel set, a really easy improvement and the set belts are equally impressive.

Not much else to say really, just clicked together and I threw some paint at it!

thinking of you poems for her

Guy

Ps I may have given the big red knob a little too much bling!  ::)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: New Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk.I *cockpit
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 11:27:21 PM »
We all know guys like knobs  ;)

Excellent job on the cockpit Guy . Love it ! Also noted the link to the site with poems , just what I needed  :-*

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 12:10:56 AM »
The original Tamiya 1/48th Spit was good but this one looks amazing! Terrific work on the pit!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 02:01:57 AM »

Excellent job on the cockpit Guy . Love it ! Also noted the link to the site with poems , just what I needed  :-*

Alexis

Yes, I was waiting for that one Alexis! I was going to make some kind of gag but thought I wouldn’t lower the tone, but you’ve done it for me!  ;D

The poem link is weird.. saw it after I posted and when I go to edit it out it’s not there.. spooky

Thanks Rick, yes, it is a special model.

Guy

Offline FAf

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 02:23:02 AM »
Looking really good! But with Tamiya plastic and you as the builder, what else could you expect. I'm looking forward to the rest, but especially the markings.

Cheers
Fredrik

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 04:54:30 AM »

Alexis

Yes, I was waiting for that one Alexis! I was going to make some kind of gag but thought I wouldn’t lower the tone, but you’ve done it for me!  ;D

The poem link is weird.. saw it after I posted and when I go to edit it out it’s not there.. spooky

Thanks Rick, yes, it is a special model.

Guy

At least you didn't say ..." polishing " the knob ..that would  have been to much information  ;)

Yes that is weird with the link showing ...The Lord works in wonderful ways  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 04:08:37 PM »
Thanks Fredrik  :)

And Alexis...  :o ;D

All closed up now.

Fit is lovely, but I did have a sliver of a gap along the wing roots (maybe me). Now normally, I’d get filler in all the detail and end up mucking the whole thing up, but I saw Fredrik use masking tape on his Eduard Spitfire build and I know it must be obvious to everyone else, but I’d never thought of that before (doh)  ::). Tried it here and it worked beautifully! No mess anywhere. Can’t believe I’ve never tried that before! There’s no rivet detail on the top engine cowling and tbh I’m hugely grateful for that - it must be nigh on impossible to do that neatly and retain the detail.

Not really a criticism, as it all fits so well, but I’m never a fan of unnecessary joins - I realise they need to to give options for other marks but there is a big side panel section in the fuselage (each side, and a further one on the nose) that requires glue - it’s all but invisible, but still, and ditto for the wingtips.

The exhausts are slightly odd to me too, they come as 3 parts each and I can’t quite see the logic in this, and it’s quite fiddly - having had a closer look at these they look solid - no hollows - so I’ve ordered the Eduard Brassin ones as a treat  ;)

Anyway... not far off priming her now.

Guy

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: New Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk.I *built
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 11:21:48 PM »
Nice build!! Tamiya does provide therapeutic builds. Got the P47 on the bench for the same reason.

Steve

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 12:48:12 AM »
Looking really good Guy , with these kits one just needs to toss in glue and paint in the box and shake for 5 minutes !

Yes , using tape to cover details for filling works a charm . Being doing this for many years , mush easier and faster then having to replace the detail lost form sanding .

Looking forward on seeing some colour laid down on her  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 01:29:34 AM »
Thanks Steve,

Yes, I think the P-47 will have to go on my list - I made one when it came out and remember being blown away by it...

Looking really good Guy , with these kits one just needs to toss in glue and paint in the box and shake for 5 minutes!

Yes , using tape to cover details for filling works a charm . Being doing this for many years , mush easier and faster then having to replace the detail lost form sanding .

Alexis

No one like a show off Alexis  :D I can’t believe I’ve never done that.. what a dope!

It will probably take me 6 or 7 minutes as I’m a perfectionist  ;D

Guy

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 05:21:30 AM »
6-7 minutes , Who's showing off now  ;)

Then again it would be most impressive if the whole build was finished in 6-7 minutes ;D

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch