Author Topic: Commission Offer for a Scratch Build of the Curtis D from 1910  (Read 1795 times)

Offline adrian1

Commission Offer for a Scratch Build of the Curtis D from 1910
« on: February 02, 2021, 04:57:18 PM »
Expert modelers,

I would like to commission a scratch built model of the highest quality (inspired by Des Delatorre's magnificent work) of the following pre WWI aircraft:
The Curtiss D from 1910 in 1:16 Scale as displayed here at the Smithsonian. https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/model-static-curtiss-d-1910/nasm_A19470015000

If you are interested and able to deliver a model almost identical to the one in the Smithsonian link above please contact me via personal message with an estimate for what your fee would be and a link to some examples of your great work! I am located in NYC so hoping ideally to contract someone in the US or as near to me as possible to keep shipping/handling costs down but if that's not possible (and since I'm prioritizing the quality of work), this proposal is open to all scratch build modelers from around the world. I enthusiastically invite you to contact me and will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

I look forward to hearing from you!
Adrian

PS. Please note I am hoping the wings will be made from some form of doped linen (or any material closer aesthetically to the original aircraft).

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Commission Offer for a Scratch Build of the Curtis D from 1910
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 05:21:25 PM »
Just a note to add.... Adrian contacted me on this proposal before posting his request so he has the Forum's blessing for his commission request.

The world's best antique and WW1 aircraft modellers are on this Forum so I hope someone can assist Adrian with his request.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Bughunter

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 10:26:08 PM »
Oh yes, that could be a nice project!
I'm going to build this type of aircraft from a kit of AJP Maquettes (a french company) one day in scale 1/48. But I have to many started projects, which needs to be finished and not enough time.

For me a scratch build in that scale would be a huge task, this includes searching for references and drawings (do you plan to help here ?), ordering materials (wood, metal, ....) and create a modeldown scaled original at the end. The bamboo for example could look like on my Demoiselle (also AJP):
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8564

I have to be realistic: to scratch build a huge model of this quality would require hundreds of hours, which I don't have at the moment, and hardly anyone could pay for that (I talk only for me here).

On the other hand I always wanted to build some biplanes in 1/16, but I do not have the space to display them (only a Fokker Dr.I in 1/8 is hanging from the roof of our living room). You may ask again end of the year, if nobody else jumps in.

Cheers,
Frank

PS: I'm living in Germany
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:35:27 PM by Bughunter »

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 10:29:44 PM »
Well beyond my skills, but if someone within the forum members will take the task it will be a real pleasure to follow the realevant build log.  :D
Giuseppe

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 10:54:14 PM »
An interesting aeroplane:

https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/blanche-stuart-scott-fabulist-air-180972236/

There would be quite a lot of challenges in building one, the larger scale would help

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline adrian1

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 04:38:11 PM »
Oh yes, that could be a nice project!
I'm going to build this type of aircraft from a kit of AJP Maquettes (a french company) one day in scale 1/48. But I have to many started projects, which needs to be finished and not enough time.

For me a scratch build in that scale would be a huge task, this includes searching for references and drawings (do you plan to help here ?), ordering materials (wood, metal, ....) and create a modeldown scaled original at the end. The bamboo for example could look like on my Demoiselle (also AJP):
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8564

I have to be realistic: to scratch build a huge model of this quality would require hundreds of hours, which I don't have at the moment, and hardly anyone could pay for that (I talk only for me here).

On the other hand I always wanted to build some biplanes in 1/16, but I do not have the space to display them (only a Fokker Dr.I in 1/8 is hanging from the roof of our living room). You may ask again end of the year, if nobody else jumps in.

Cheers,
Frank

PS: I'm living in Germany

Thank you Frank! Your work on the Santos Dumont Demoiselle is wonderful! Have I understood correctly from your note that you'd be interested in deferring this project for a year but might be available to take it up then (end of 2021?)  if no others do in the meantime? I have not yet received any follow-ups from modelers to this proposal so its nice to know you might eventually be up for it! Cheers in the meantime and keep up the great work.

Offline adrian1

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 04:04:34 PM »
Hi all,

This is an update that I haven't yet received any bids on this commission (Feb 12). Please don't hesitate to contact me if it is a project you'd like to take on!

Best,
Adrian

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 06:51:07 PM »
Adrian,

I think you are asking in the wrong place. We're hobby modellers and many of us have day jobs - modelling is what we do for pleasure. You are looking for a professional modeller

This would be quite a commitment for a hobby modeller and take them into an unfamiliar world. I build my models to satisfy myself and share with others. Building for someone else has a whole load of new issues around expectations on appearance, quality, cost, timing and so on. Those are the kind of things I build models to get away from!

You are asking for someone who models for pleasure to commit many hundreds of hours of leisure time on a commercial venture, I'm not surprised you haven't had any response

Your best bet is to search out people who build models on commission for clients. They do exist

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Dave J

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 08:00:00 AM »
As Richard mentioned,

You could be looking in the wrong place, as most people on modeling forums build for fun and their enjoyment.

Have you looked at getting this designed in 3D and then printed in resin? That could be the best option for you. There are a few websites that you can stick your project onto and then people will "bid" to do the work. Once completed there are plenty of 3D printing services out there, then you only really need to have a modeller assemble and paint it for you.

You could be looking around the same cost of having someone scratch build it. Plus in the long run, you can have someone host the STL File and sell the rights to download it and use it. A lot of people do this already with figures etc.
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager