Author Topic: Some of Mine for "The New Crew"  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Trackpad

Some of Mine for "The New Crew"
« on: April 22, 2012, 02:13:20 AM »
Hi,

Vets from other forums will have seen these, but the "New Crew" might have an interest in them. Thanks for looking!

Dan-San Abbott Memorial Build: Eduard 1/48th Fokker EV

Eduard 1/72nd Junkers J.1. Subject currently in Ottawa, Canada: the last virtually complete example of the J.1 in the world.

Airfix 1/72nd Albatros DV - years ago, hand-painted lozenge, and then MicroScale brought out their loz decals!

Airfix 1/72nd Sopwith Pup. Same vintage as the Albi above (Gawd, I'm gettin'old!  ;) )

Roden 1/32nd Fokker Triplane - Lothar von Richthofen. We will not revisit the "Upper Wing Colour" question today!  ;D

Williams Brothers 1/72nd Douglas World Cruiser. Not a WW1 subject, but a nice kit to build!

Wingnut Wings 1/32nd Junkers J.1 (Detail)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: Some of Mine for "The New Crew"
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 03:15:40 AM »
All very nice builds Trackpad and in particular, your Dr.I. Now that I have one of them under my belt too, I find that I'm interested to see how other modelers execute their streaked patterns. The second thing that never fails to grab my attention is any aircraft with a yellow finish such as your Dr.I and Douglas World Cruiser. What brand of yellow did you use for these two?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 03:42:52 AM »
Excellent work -

Really impressed by the brush/hand painted lozenge fabric on the Airfix Albatros - must have taken ages to paint!

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 03:44:11 AM »
Hi, Chris,

Thanks for your very kind comments. I'm addicted to Xtracolor paints, and so use them wherever I can. In these two cases, I used Xtracolor X106, Insignia Yellow, FS13538. If anyone uses other paint lines, and those lines provide 13538 or 33538 (matte version), then they'll be close to what you see. Misterkit puts out a GC14 Jasta 10 Yellow, which could also work well.
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 04:00:53 AM »
Excellent work -
Really impressed by the brush/hand painted lozenge fabric on the Airfix Albatros - must have taken ages to paint!
Dave

Hi, Dave,

Thanks very much. It did take a while! Many years ago, an Airfix magazine printed a set of templates that provided the chordwise lines and the spacing for the lozenge. The idea was that you pasted the page onto cardboard, then cut out the chordwise line templates. Having painted the lightest colour over the wings and tail, you then laboriously placed each repeating template (there were five of them, applied as "1-2-3-4-5, 1-2-3-4-5, and so on, left to right) across the wing and ran a sharp pencil down each one. When done, you'd have a bunch of regularly spaced jagged chordwise lines over the entire wing. Then you went back along each line and drew in the spanwise lines that joined them, thus defining each lozenge. Still with me?  :D  :o

Then you mixed each of the remaining four colours and painted them in to their respective pencilled-in lozenge, much like a "paint-by-numbers" project. By the time I'd finished, there were/are over 2000 individual lozenges on the model. That why I was ecstatic ( >:() when, just six weeks later, MicroScale brought out the first 1/72nd scale lozenge decals!

As an aside, the loz colours were the best approximation available at the time. I keep the Albi with me to remind me (as if I really need reminding!) of just how far this hobby has moved in the last 30-odd years. Hope this explains the process clearlishy!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 06:21:46 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

Offline keith_christie

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 04:09:20 AM »
Very nice collection you have there.

Best Regards

Keith

Offline Galloway

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 04:35:39 AM »
Trackpad,

Very nice collection of models! Really like the E.V - D.VIII

Ken
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 05:48:19 AM »
Great builds and interesting subjects

Steve

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 06:25:20 AM »
Exceptional modeling and a brilliant collection, Trackpad.  Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 08:01:16 AM »
  Gary,
Outstanding collection my friend. I'm alway admired the Douglas World Cruiser but never build one. How does she build up and fit. I know the Williams Brother's kits sometime do have really bad fit issues,just try building their C46 as a weekend project sometime.
Thanks very much for sharing these gems.

Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

PS: You know Gary if attached a long range ferry wing atop of your Awesome Lancaster as the RAF did with the Hurricane it would fit this collection perfectly. I know shameless pandering but I'm still in absolute awe of your amazing Lancaster.
" What Me Worry"

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »
Awesome! I love the LVR DR1, excellent streaking and the wing we wont mention is just as likely as the other option  :-X
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Whiteknuckles

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 12:59:15 PM »
As one of 'the new crew' I thank you for showing us some of your lovely hanger!!
The world cruiser looks an interesting subject and I'm always interested in seeing those Dr.1's in preparation of getting into mine.

Cheers,

Andrew

p.s. 2000 individual Lozenge's all hand outlined and painted would drive me nuts :o = true dedication in my books ;)!!
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 12:42:29 AM »
Good Mornng, Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your very kind words of encouragement. They are most appreciated!

Gregory - Love to add the second wing to the Lanc, but it was a contract build and is now resident in a home ten miles from here: I ain't got no control over it no more!  ;D  The World Cruiser is a very nice kit to build: goes together well and is quite a large model in 1/72nd scale. I think that Williams Brothers have reissued it. If you do give it a try, let me know and I'll give you what benefit my experience with it will offer.

RagIII - Ah, yes: the upper wing question! You are right, though, in that the question will probably never be answered to the satisfaction of all. I went with this option due to Dan San Abbott's analysis. Something to discuss over a few beers and with a lot of time!  8)

Andrew - First off, welcome to the Forum! If you have any questions when you do start your triplane, just ask them here. There is a lot of experience and knowledge on this site. I know many of the forumites from other websites, and I am sure that they, and I, will be happy to help if you wish. Again, welcome!  :)

Cheers!
Gary

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 01:56:58 AM »
   Gary,
Thanks for the heads up concerning the Douglas Cruiser my if I just give it a try someday. Oh I'd forgotten she was a contact build,so maybe build another sometime.
highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 03:25:26 AM »
   Gary,
Thanks for the heads up concerning the Douglas Cruiser my if I just give it a try someday.
highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Gregory,

You can get not one, but all four Cruisers in this offer from Williams Brothers Corporation. Here's the link: http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com/World%20Flight-%20Lo%20Res.jpg

C'mon, you can do it! Good luck!  ;) (Just kiddin'!)
Cheers!
Gary