Author Topic: Restarting after many years ...  (Read 2360 times)

Offline 6992

Restarting after many years ...
« on: January 25, 2021, 09:40:29 AM »
Returning to modelling after a very long break - on a bit of a "mission". Too long a story but the build being started is a WingnutWings FE2b late. Things have moved on a lot since I last built boxed kits - especially with regards to materials such as glues etc - also some of the WnW instructions are slightly irritating- so there will be questions.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Restarting after many years ...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 09:49:17 AM »
Welcome to the site  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 01:15:42 PM »
Questions, but more particularly answers are our specialty here, so fire away and welcome back!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline macsporran

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 06:34:08 PM »
Welcome 6992

Your name reminds me of the old joke, where a new prisoner on his first day is astonished when one inmate shouts out "24" and all the old lags burst out laughing. Then somebody shouts "394" and again they erupt in laughter. He asks what is going on and his neighbour tells him that they all been in so long, they all know the same jokes by heart so, rather than telling the whole joke, they just shout out it's number. "He says, why don't you have a go" so the newbie shouts out "6992" and the hall explodes in gales of laughter with tears running down cheeks and some rolling on the floor in merriment.
"Wow, that was good", he said.
"Yes", said his neighbour, "We hadn't heard that one before."

Sandy (running away quickly)

Offline 6992

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 07:38:58 AM »
Welcome 6992 Your name reminds me of the old joke, ....

:) 8/10 for the numerical joke. "6992" was the number of a RFC aircraft shot down late 1916 - the consequences of that loss now having taken a good chunk of my time for the past four years. This is why I've "had" to now restart at the deep-end with a WnW "Fee".

nb - how do you set a post so that you are notified of any replies ?

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 09:18:37 AM »
Click on profile and select account settings .

Hover over modify profile , scroll down to notifications and click on it .

Check which notifications you want and your done !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 11:47:00 AM »
 Hi 6992

Welcome to the Forum. I wondered what the number referred to when I saw your membership application.

You are very bold in tackling a Wingnuts Fe2b as your return to modelling project. These are amazing kits and look fantastic though the complexity of the rigging scares me.

Feel free to ask any questions on the forum as our members are always happy to help out a fellow modeller. Incidentally former Wingnut Wings staff are among our membership so we have the experts nearby for WnW related questions.

regards

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 02:58:59 AM »
Hi, welcome 6992! This is the best WW1 aviation place to be! Hope you enjoy your time here... Regards, Marc.

Offline 6992

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 08:17:12 AM »
Click on profile and select account settings. Hover over modify profile , scroll down to notifications and click on it. Check which notifications you want and your done !

Thanks - Rather surprisingly I managed to get to the notification choices - and nearly understood some of them ! - I've ticked some boxes - lets see what happens.

Offline 6992

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 08:41:00 AM »
... You are very bold in tackling a Wingnuts Fe2b as your return to modelling project. These are amazing kits and look fantastic though the complexity of the rigging scares me."

Slightly more than the rigging worries me - back in the day I didn't have any arthritic finger joints and my eyesight was a bit sharper - but the restart being the FE2b was really a "Pas le choix". I've looked at quite a lot of relevant stuff on the www - particularly the Brad Fallen "Fee". No way am I going to get anywhere near that standard, but if I can finish with something which is "acceptably good" I'll be quite happy. I've had some custom transfers made ( :-[ sorry - now "decals, apparently) so hopefully I'm going to get the relevant aircraft markings correct.

One immediate stumbling block - I haven't been able to find any scale drawings on the late FE2b on the www. I've posted elsewhere on this site about that.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 11:52:40 AM »
Click on profile and select account settings. Hover over modify profile , scroll down to notifications and click on it. Check which notifications you want and your done !

Thanks - Rather surprisingly I managed to get to the notification choices - and nearly understood some of them ! - I've ticked some boxes - lets see what happens.

You are very welcome  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 05:41:58 AM »
Welcome to the forum SixNineNineTwo  ;)

Good luck with the Fee!

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 02:53:36 AM »
Welcome to the Best Forum on the Net! Your return project is ambitious but you will get all of the help you ask for!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 08:11:38 AM »
Welcome 6992.

I too am coming back in after a long hiatus, but I'm certainly not embarking on such ambitious projects to get my mojo back!

Good luck!

Hugh

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 04:26:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I believe most of us had one or more interruptions in their modelling, this is a good place for restarting.
Ciao
Giuseppe