Author Topic: Roden 1/72 Sopwith TF.1 Camel Trench Fighter  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Early Bird Fan

Roden 1/72 Sopwith TF.1 Camel Trench Fighter
« on: January 20, 2021, 07:55:20 AM »
My Roden Trench Fighter is finally finished, the smallest kit i've built yet and that created a few issues for me but i think i've just about got away with it. Some of you probably already know but here's a brief history behind it...

..."In November 1917 the RFC asked the Sopwith company for a special ground attack plane. The new special plane, the so-called 'Trench Fighter', must be equipped with machine guns fixed to fire downward at a 45 degree angle. For this task a Sopwith F.1 Camel #B9278 was chosen. Two Lewis machine guns were installed beneath the fuselage and one more on a Bowan & Williams (admiralty Top Plane) mount on the upper wing (as on the 2F.1 Camels). Most of the cockpit space was surrounded by steel plates to give the pilot some protection from ground fire.

The first flight of the new plane took place on February 15th 1918 and one month later the aircraft was sent to France for trials. Combat testing was brief because the idea of downward fire proved to be a conceptual mistake. Soon afterwards B9278 was returned to England and the TF.1 was cancelled because by this time the Sopwith company were developing a new project, the F.2 Salamander which was specially designed for support of the infantry."

Flown by Captain LJ Wackett in France 1918...

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Roden 1/72 Sopwith TF.1 Camel Trench Fighter
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 12:36:56 PM »
Lovely job on your tiny Camel , she trued out really well  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 11:52:43 PM »
Very nicely done Camel. I found rigging the Camel to be a challenge in 1/32nd scale...can't imagine doing it in 1/72nd. I really enjoyed following your build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 04:39:08 AM »
Very nice!  Especially the control horns and cables.  I have a very difficult time getting those straight and matching on both sides.  You seemed to have handled it no problem.

Stuart

Offline WD

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 03:42:46 AM »
Very nice!

WD

Offline ermeio

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 11:25:42 PM »
Lovely little Camel!

er me

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 06:02:52 AM »
Very nice and well detailed little Camel. Well done.
Ciao
Giuseppe