Author Topic: 1/72 Siemens Schuckert SSW DDr1 scratch build  (Read 5890 times)

Offline lone modeller

1/72 Siemens Schuckert SSW DDr1 scratch build
« on: January 20, 2021, 07:24:43 AM »
Evening All,

The Siemens-Schuckert company produced a number of odd designs during the period 1914-1918, some of which were relatively successful. The DDr1 was a product of the "triplane craze" of 1917: the introduction of the Sopwith Ttriplane earlier that year had caused something of a sensation among pilots on account of the extreme agility of the type. It could easily out-turn all other types in service and although it was not particularly fast, in dogfights its pilots had a distinct advantage. Many companies tried to either design new types or modify existing ones which could replicate the success of the Sopwith. The Seiemens Schuckert design was one of the less successful attempts, but it is interesting nonetheless because of a novel feature - it had two engines.

The machine had a fairly conventional structure - a stubby nacelle which was covered in fabric with metal cowlings, and tubular booms supporting twin rudders and a single elevator at the rear. It was armed with two machine guns. The power was supplied by two Siemens-Halske Sh 1a 120 hp rotary engines, one mounted in the nose driving a two blade propellor, and one at the rear driving a four blade propellor. The engines were unusual because while the cylinders rotated in one direction, gearing caused the propellors to turn in the opposite direction.

The shape of the arircraft meant that it was quickly dubbed the "flying egg". the design was submitted for approval in the summer of 1917 and a prototype ordered which was ready for testing in November of that year.

The radical design proved to be too much: the machine lacked stability and the engines were difficult to control, with the result that the machine crashed on the first flight and was not rebuilt. A second design with more powerful engines was not proceeded with.

Spin models make one of these in resin in 1/48 scale but there are two problems with that for me. 1st it is in the wrong scale and 2nd I do not like resin kits, so it left me with no option but to scratch build one in the True Scale. The nacelle, spinner and cowlings were push moulded and the booms were florists wire. The wheels are discs cut from plastic card with rod for tyres, the engines are rod and card, and the remainder was made from plastic card. It is rigged with rolled copper wire. My thanks to Alexis for providing me with the information concerning the sizes of the propellors: the drawings that I used to make this model did not give the dimensions.

Another oddball type to add to my growing collection!

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline Early Bird Fan

Re: 1/72 Siemens Schuckert SSW DDr1 scratch build
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 08:04:36 AM »
another work of art from you LM, that's a beautiful looking model

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 08:05:32 AM »
Stephen ,

Viewing your build thread was a true delight as you progressed with the build . Knowing that not much in the lines of info are out there , you did beautifully in showing us how talented you are on this gem ! :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 08:20:35 AM »
Stephen ,

Viewing your build thread was a true delight as you progressed with the build . Knowing that not much in the lines of info are out there , you did beautifully in showing us how talented you are on this gem ! :)

Alexis

I can't add much to what Alexis said except I agree about 200% ! Beautiful and unusual Aircraft!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 08:41:11 AM »
You have done it again. Another lovely scratch model of a purely esoteric subject. Many thanks for sharing your valuable work, both historically and in the modeling sense. Looking forward for even more :-)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 09:57:01 AM »
    Another superior model and a very enjoyable experience following your Build Log Stephen. I "second" Przemo's comments and indeed, thanks so much for sharing with us again and over the years here!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Saso Krasovec

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 03:52:13 PM »
BRAVO!!! :)

Offline Radarman

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 09:36:34 PM »
Stephen,
Thanks for the great lessons in scratch building and history.
The results of your efforts are much appreciated.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Bughunter

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 07:00:45 AM »
Stephen, you managed again to create a odd beauty from nothing but material and references. Thanks for sharing!
What's next?
What about two biplanes at the same time? This DDr.I has two fuselage halve, one engine in front, one after. So now two biplane on top of each other, a bird with four wings?

Cheers,
Frank

Offline macsporran

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 07:51:44 AM »
Nice one. There's nothing to beat the satisfaction of scratching something from nothing. Real modelling.
Wouldn't have wanted to be between those two engines when it crashed, though!
Sandy

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 08:14:23 AM »
A wonderful job on a true ugly duckling Stephen,it's been a fascinating build.Can't wait to see what you cook up next!
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline William Adair

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 09:10:31 PM »
Beautiful job and a really eye-catching model.  All the more so for its rarity.  :)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 10:45:33 PM »
Outstanding job on an oddball subject with extremely complicated rigging.

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 04:42:33 AM »
Stephen,

Very nice model.  I especially like your rigging.  If it's not spot on scale, it looks very close.  Nice.

Stuart

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2021, 04:47:04 AM »
Many thanks to all of you for the very kind comments and support during the build.

Frank: I could not build two models together (unlike Rick) because I would become confused with the parts and woould forget what to do next on each one. Remember I have to write the instructions as I go along!

Stephen.