Author Topic: Meng 1:32 Fokker DR.1 Lothar von Richthofen  (Read 5389 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Meng 1:32 Fokker DR.1 Lothar von Richthofen
« on: January 18, 2021, 01:56:28 AM »
   Finally, after several slow months of snail like progress I've completed Meng's "rescued" Fokker Triplane kit. I found it a bit of a challenge frankly; my kit came with the broken upper turtle deck part and badly warped wings, it took three attempts to straighten the upper. The final successful one was done with a hair dryer using Mark's (MGunns) technique. The fragile struts concerned me however proved to be adequate. The instructions were generally poor and the main interplane strut attachments were a real PITA. In fairness the latter short coming was probably due to the "stripe" Aviattic decals interfering with the joints. I prefer the one piece strut approach used on the older Roden Kit. In summary I admit much of the difficulty I experienced was no doubt self induced. With this Build behind me I'd like to try the Kit again and probably will.
  The markings are from the Cutting Edge Fokker DR.1 Part 2 Decal Set, the guns are a combination of the Kit PE Jackets, Wingnut Breeches from the spares bin, and Master Barrels. Seat belts are HGW. I used Aviattic's Decals for the striped finish (the "bulk stock" ones, not the "Cookie Cutter version), the prop is my own 6 laminate hand carved Axial using Alaskan Cedar and Pear woods. Paints were mainly Tamiya Acrylics and a few touch ups with really old Model Master enamels.

Not the brightest little gem in my display case for sure, but given the struggle to finish it, I'll take it! 

Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

Re: Meng 1:32 Fokker DR.1 Lothar von Richthofen
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 02:14:00 AM »
Gorgeous build Lance! In spite of your proclaimed issues you have turned out a Beautiful DR1! If and when I do another Meng kit I have been inspired by your results and will "Most Likely" do Lothars bird  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 02:47:58 AM »
Even with the challenges this kit presented to you , You did have an outcome which one can truly admire .  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 03:16:27 AM »
    Thank you both for your generous comments!
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 03:51:11 AM »
Very nice outcome of this project, Lance! I like the colors, the chipping and the overall impression.

It would be interesting, if the parts would have be changed further if WNW still exists or if this is really the final state as WNW would sell it. I cannot assume they would accept to deliver warped wings.

Your model remind me, that it is a shame to not have a Fokker Dr.I in the collection of finished models :-\

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 05:06:45 AM »
What a beautiful airplane, and what a colorful one. I like it a lot.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 06:17:52 AM »
I like it Lance:  I think it's a pretty outstanding build, all the issues notwithstanding.  I like your solid yellow surfaces as they make the model and scheme stand out.  A hearty Bravo Zulu Lance.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 06:34:35 AM »
Another fine build to add to the collection.
Well done, Lance!

vB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 07:07:56 AM »
Very nice Lance,

I really like the scheme!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline macsporran

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 08:27:44 AM »
Nice one Lance. You've encouraged me to get mine going again. Hope it turns out as well as this little beauty.
Sandy

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 08:44:04 AM »
Very nice outcome of this project, Lance! I like the colors, the chipping and the overall impression.

It would be interesting, if the parts would have be changed further if WNW still exists or if this is really the final state as WNW would sell it. I cannot assume they would accept to deliver warped wings.

Your model remind me, that it is a shame to not have a Fokker Dr.I in the collection of finished models :-\

Cheers,
Frank

Frank;
    As I mentioned in the Under Construction comments my impression of this Kit is that it was still not in it's final Wingnut Wings form when Meng acquired it; the quality control and superb fit of parts was not up to WNW standards out of my particular box however it's still a pretty nice Kit and the Wingnut engineering is readily apparent. This is entirely my personal opinion however having built just short of two dozen of their Kits I believe I know their products pretty well. I really like the way they did the cabane struts, fitting the top wing turned out to be a very simple task. The tail skid was well done as well, it's a "slide in" that can be done at the conclusion of the Build as opposed to when the fuselage halves are joined which, for me, inevitably ends with breaking it! Another "weak" point in my view is the way the landing gear struts attach to the fuselage, the rear set being a basic flat "Butt" style joint which gave me some grief and I never did get her to sit level on the wheels. Last, I think I carved the pitch on the prop a little too "fine" or flat, the laminations are wider then I wanted.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 08:56:53 AM »
Fvdm, Mark, von B, Guy and Sandy,
   Thanks for looking in and for your comments! If nothing else this Kit's release has certainly led to a lot of interest in the subject here, there must be over half a dozen recently completed or in progress, which is a good thing. With this one completed, the Roden version started, and the Encore Voss F.1 ready to go I'll have added three to the Fokker Frenzy and I already have a Roden Red Baron 152/17 in the case!
   Maybe I need to get out more ...............
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 01:00:41 PM »
Outstanding job Lance, as usual. Very nice to see this one completed and the detail and finish are exquisite. The weathering touches are quite subtle and realistic indeed. Love what you've done with it  ;)
Cheers,
Gary

Offline ermeio

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 05:59:10 PM »
Very nice rendition, Lance!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 11:32:03 PM »
Very nice results. Feel free to stay in and build more great models. Its too damned cold right now to go out anyways - oh and there's nothing to go out to......

Steve