Author Topic: 1/72 Roden Albatros D.I  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Rip Van Winkle

1/72 Roden Albatros D.I
« on: January 12, 2021, 08:13:21 AM »
Lt. O. Hone Albatros D.I  Mister kit acrylics for the wings and Abteilung 502 oils for the fuselage.

Offline Rip Van Winkle

Re: 1/72 Roden Albatros D.I
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 08:21:40 AM »
I had read that the struts were too long and sure enough they were.  I used drawings by ian Stair as a guide. Cabane struts are scratch built. Outer struts were shortened by at least 1mm.

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 08:26:29 AM »
Overall a good experience.  Rigging is with .005 Nitinol wire.

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 08:39:06 AM »
I gave the fuselage a reddish hue since I see a lot of variations for Albatros fighters.  There were dimples in the side radiators. I am not sure that is accurate but that is how the kit was produced.  i  have a D.II almost ready.  That was not as challenging.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 09:34:21 AM »
Lovely little Albatros DI. The wood fuselage and camo are well done. excellent work overall!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 11:05:22 PM »
Hey Rip ,

I really like how your D.1 turned out from the wood to the camo , nice work  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline WS_972

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 07:30:17 PM »
Hi!
Really well done!
My greatest compliments for the rigging too!

I'm in the finishing days of my Albatros collection project and I'm finishing their weathering before final assembly....

Can I ask you how did you attached the lower wings to the fuselage?

I have done some dry fittings and I believe that some self made pins are needed....otherwise all the gluing 'll be done over the plywood varnish and could result in a fragile joints over time....

My best regards , congratulations for the little masterpiece and thanks in advance for your reply!

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 12:23:03 AM »
Pins would definitely help but I usually remove paint where the wing joints are before I apply cement.  The trick is the lower wing dihedral.  Even though it may not be much it affects how closely all the struts and top wing will fit.  Take a look at the appropriate scale drawings if you can.  I am always a little nervous about that Albatros wing joint.

Offline WS_972

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 06:13:46 AM »
Thanks for your reply!

I'm in the final stages of the weathering and I plan to start the final assembly within few days....and I'm thinking about the purchase of a Vertigo Miniatures Jigs....maybe I'll open a tread here about his functionality....

About gluing them I'm thinking to rely on a bit of superglue on scraped plastic areas and a couple of little holes for glue better strongholds....

This evening I was looking at the drawings from Windsock Datafile....but seem no dihedral on D.I wings.....

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 09:28:03 AM »
You are correct. This particular plane has no dihedral. I am working on a Sopwith Camel that has a large lower wing dihedral.

Offline WS_972

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 05:24:51 PM »
Ohhhhh....a great amount of dihedral on the Camel lower wings....I read that this was due a decision of the developers to speedup production and lower the save manhours....so they produce a straight and quick building upper wing and put all the dihedral on the lowers....

Thanks for the help and i wish you to enjoy the Camel building!