Author Topic: How best do I create a satin sheen using Tamiya flat acrylic paints?  (Read 3791 times)

Offline James Reagan

Tamiya paint is readily available to me through the internet.  I may want to create a satin paint effect on some WW1 aircraft.  I don't believe they offer a satin gloss coat and I'm finding their gloss coat out of stock at many web sites.

Offline skeeterbuck

Re: How best do I create a satin sheen using Tamiya flat acrylic paints?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 07:30:44 AM »
If you can locate the Gunze Sanyo clear that will work also. Tamiya Acrylic paint is not water based, but alcohol based. That's why you can use lacquer thinner to dilute it for spraying or clean up tasks.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 08:25:41 AM »
Hi James,
   Over many years I believe I've tried nearly every version of "clear" finish on the menu. Lately I've been using Tamiya products and I am very pleased with the results. I like a Semi Gloss/Satin overcoat on most WW.I subjects for which I use:

A mix of 7 parts Clear Semi Gloss X35 to 3 parts of their Flat Clear XF 86. I then thin that with 40% of their X20A Thinner for airbrushing or hand brushing on smaller parts. I'd suggest you experiment with the ratios of the flat/semi gloss to get the finish you desire. I don't use lacquer thinner (as I do with their paints) because I worry about damaging the decals with the final over spray coat. So the method is primer if required, color coat(s), several coats of Future (or their gloss clear) to provide a shiny surface for the decals, then the "satin" over coat.
   I'm quite pleased with the stuff; it's easily available, reasonably priced, dries quickly, and works well.
   Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Lance
Cheers,
Lance

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 05:06:30 PM »
First of, I do use Tamiya clear with laquer thginner over decals, never had any problems with that, just so you know. I have also tried Gunze gloss clear and AK real color clear and found them to som much the same that is no noticable differance. All can be thinned with laquer thinner and/or alcohol. I prefer thinning with laquer thinner and clean-up with alcohol.

If you can get them, for the final finish, I use the clears from Mr. Paint. These are ready mixed for airbrushing and are availeble in gloss, matt, seme-gloss and semi-matt, giving you several options to get a finish you desire. They spray very thin (that is why I seal my decals with Tamiya/Gunze/AK real color clear coat) and can also be cleaned with alcohol.

Hidde from Holland

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 11:40:03 PM »
Hello James ,

For a satin finish using Tamiya paint Lance mentioned an excellent mix . Semi gloss mixed with clear flat you can get different tones of a satin finish adding dept to the over finish .

I don't use their X20A thinner other then for brush painting small details . I always thin with their Lacquer thinner ( yellow cap) and I use this over natural metal finishes and never had any issues of it harming decals or the underlying sealing coats .

The lacquer thinner with the light blue cap is for their lacquer only line ( black label jars ) This thinner WILL NOT WORK with their X and XF line of paints .

However , their lacquer line of clear / semi clear / flat clear can be mixed just like their other line of paints . I'm not sure about their enamal paints , can't get them here in Canada as far as I know .

Alexis

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gcn

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 12:36:38 AM »
I add a couple of drops of their gloss (x22, I think) to my paint if I want to add any sort of sheen. More drops, more sheen.

Gunze clear gloss also works.

Offline WS_972

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 06:44:15 AM »
Actually I suggest the Premium Clear and Satin finish from Gunze:

H101 the gloss
H102 the semigloss

....those are the best I can suggest and those I use while working....the last cover I place is the Alclad II ALC-311 light shine....this give the more realistic finish from my taste....

Offline macsporran

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 09:26:05 AM »
Also readily available over the internet is the Winsor and Newton Galeria series of Matt, Satin and Gloss varnishes. After trying just about everything on the market over the last forty+ years these are my varnishes of choice and recommendations for anybody to try.
I use the Matt for a good solid finish brushed on figures, the gloss sprayed on my automobile models and the satin for most wwi aircraft, although I'll intermix them freely as the occasion dictates
They thin beautifully with plain water, behave impeccably over acrylic, enamel or lacquer paints, handle well when dry (quickly) and clean up is very easy.
Unless I need something very specialized, I'd use these every time FWIW.
Sandy

Offline chunks

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 10:35:05 AM »
As weird as it sounds, one of the tricks from back in the sixties was to use skin oil.  Just rub a finger on the side of your nose and then rub it on the finished model.  Yeah I know.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 10:50:44 AM »
You can also create a satin sheen using Future mixed with some Tamiya acrylic flat base. You have to experiment with the ratios but this method allows all manner of satin sheens and even a full flat base.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 04:17:05 AM »
I have also done what Dave Wilson recommends.  I often mixed Tamiya flat base with Tamiya gloss or Future/Pledge to get a satin or matte finish.  Unfortunately, I don't remember the ratios I used.  I think Tamiya do offer satin and matte in their line these days.

Since I have moved away from Lacquer and Alcohol based paints, I've been using the Vallejo gloss/satin/matte products.  It took practice and time working with them, as they are more difficult to work with than Future or Tamiya gloss, but I think I have figured them out.  If I can get decent results from them, everyone else here should have no problem.

Stuart

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 12:11:53 AM »
Hi, Some great tips here guys!
Haven’t been able to locate any Future here in Oz, but have all clear coats except W&Newton, D
‘Not all who wander are lost‘