Author Topic: How many Woman are here ?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
How many Woman are here ?
« on: January 04, 2021, 12:57:52 PM »
I ask this question not because I don't like you guys , you are all awesome and go out of your way to welcome everyone who shares here .

But it does seem to get lonely in this male corner of the universe and I can say it feels great to be a part of that . I can say and I don't mean any disrespect at all . I have a lot of respect for the members here . I don't know if we have any other female members , but it seems that I'm the only one who post here . Sure this might not be something you would expect woman to part take in building scale models . I'm the only female in my family that builds . Even though my sisters (4 of them ) ( yes 5 girls and 3 boys ) played with lego they didn't follow suit .

Now I must admit that I do find it very and I mean very challenging relating to you guys sometimes , not all but some and for me it is a head shaker .

What impact do woman actually have on the hobby and is there a future for us ?

If there are other ladies on here would be nice too hear from you

Alexis

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: How many Woman are here ?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 03:14:25 PM »
Hi Alexis

I am not aware of other women members of the Forum, but they would be very welcome to join. In my experience women are much better at fine detail and especially ultra fine detail painting whereas men tend to use a hammer as their primary go-to modelling tool :)

So if anyone knows of other women modellers we would welcome them into this expanding global family of WW1 modellers.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 06:12:18 PM »
Hi Alexis,

It undoubtedly is very a male dominated hobby, but I think that’s only by the choice of females not to participate. It’s just viewed as a ‘boys’ toys thing I guess...

But as Dave says, I bet the best modellers would be women! (You’re an example in point). There is a lady that posts regularly on Britmodeller that I’m aware of, maybe there are more but hide behind a male persona? I can see how daunting it could be joining a forum of exclusively male modellers! Blokes aren’t always the most rational group when confined together!

I for one, would welcome more females, the more the merrier. I’m very glad you’re on here and it would be a poorer forum without you  ;)

Guy

Ps I very rarely tell anyone I make plastic models - I’m still embarrassed by it, I don’t know why, but I think it’s perceived to be a kids hobby by most - although in reality it’s overwhelmingly an old blokes pastime!
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Borsos

Re: How many Woman are here
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 08:24:43 PM »
Dear Alexis,

in spite of my total lack of understanding this hobby seems to be almost entirely male dominated. Not only because of this I can only echoe what Guy said, this would be a poorer forum without you. When I look at model shows, most females are there to accompany their male participants I only met two female modellers at a show, one plastic modeller and one paper modeller (and the works of both were simply breathtaking). I did my best to bring my daughter into that hobby and from time to time she built some very nice paper models. But meanwhile she lost interest in the hobby.
I am convinced that a more balanced gender ratio would improve much in this hobby, especially because I‘ve met some fellow modellers who in my opinion chose this hobby to a certain extent because they are not even able to talk to female persons....
Best regards,

Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 08:47:17 PM »
Yes, it is very obvious that this hobby, modeling in general, is male dominated, well over 99%, I reckon. It is so and i doubt it will change very much, it is in the differences between male and female brains, I think.
Yet, there are rare exceptions. I might have never heard of a lady in WW1 aircraft modelling, except you, Alexis, but from my experience in modeling competitions around Poland, as far as I know, there are three ladies in my country, who build models, compete and get well deserved trophies in their categories. One is in figures, one in naval miniatures and one in railways. It is the situation among the adult age categories. In the age categories below 18 years old, there are quite numerous girls building models, though my impression is that there are more of them in the cardboard than plastic modeling. Still, I suppose that some of those girls may in some years become well recognized adult modellers. The seed is just waiting to sprout.

Having said that, I personally welcome any fellow modeller, be it male or female. Yet, being a male in this male dominated field, I cannot stop finding any female modeler as a special person, a special asset we all should care about and treat with the appropriate respect, even with some sort of adoration - all this in positive aspects, please get my point correctly.
Let me put it like this - it is truly great to have you here, Alexis!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 10:18:35 AM »
I believe LoopyLoop is a woman named Karen.  I hope I remembered correctly!

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 06:15:56 PM »
There are at least 2 lady members on Hyperscale, both do amazing work.I remember Candice Uhlir posted some top shelf WW1 models on MM a while back, including scratchbuilds.It would be great to see more female involvement in the hobby.I tried to get my daughter interested when she was a kid but unfortunately she took up lapidary instead and now designs and makes silver jewellery, which at least puts money in the bank; still wish it had taken as well though.
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline ermeio

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 08:42:38 PM »
And of course there is Juanita Franzi... I don't know if she is here, but she made great WWI aircraft drawings...

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 06:40:14 AM »
Thanks guys for your feedback on this .

When I was a member on Aeroscale there was a few of us there but over time they faded away , staff changed and if you weren't part of that " group " ...didn't leave a warm welcome . I know Jessica still posts there and I found her name in the members list here , but she hasn't posted here in a long time . WW 1 is not her main interest , but she does beautiful work .

Can't speak about other sites , not a member on them with the expection of LSM which I don't post there , but I have heard of Candice Uhlir and seen her work online , very inspirational I find her work to be . The other Woman mention I haven't heard of them before . It is nice to know that there is more then just a few of us out there .

I dot want special treatment just because I'm female , and I don't think anyone has shown me any here . Everyone treats all members with the upmost respect and as equals . This is the most important part which makes us so successful . As we grow as a community we will continuing building on that .

Would really like to see more woman taking up the hobby and know that there are safe sites with warm and welcoming family  set by the members ...like Red Green used to say ...we're all in this together !

Thanks again for sharing guys  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .