Author Topic: Question on Replicating French 5-Color Using the WNW Salmson Instructions  (Read 1017 times)

Offline WD

Good People,
                      I was looking into obtaining paints for a future build, and was going to utilize the paint recommendations on the WNW Salmson 2-A2 instructions. So far, so good, right? Well, I ran across something I don't understand: in the mixes for the dope, as opposed to paint, they give the mix plus a little "paint drop" symbol with a lower case "r" within. The instructions indicate this little symbol means "paint color", however this only appears on the dope, and I'm certain it might have something to do with helping create the difference between the dope versus the paint, i.e.: the "fish belly" effect.

What does the little paint drop symbol with the "r" within indicate?

Thanks!

WD

Online gcn

The r relates to paint mix for r in that chart.

So t is 10* chestnut brown and 1 of the dope (R), which is a mix of silver (xf16) and sky Grey (xf19)

Offline Berman

To produce the most accurate colors, you must mix your own. Best article is in Windsock International volume one Spring 2014 written by Lance Krieg and WWI paint expert Alan Toelle. There are two sets of the five colors as metal sections were painted with Ripolin enamel without added silver. Fabric area were painted with standard lacquer dope with aluminum powder added for UV protection.

Offline RAGIII

The r relates to paint mix for r in that chart.

So t is 10* chestnut brown and 1 of the dope (R), which is a mix of silver (xf16) and sky Grey (xf19)

That is exactly the way the formula works. Most believe WNW is Very close to the best known samples of the colors.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline WD

Thanks for your quick responses!

- Yes Berman, I have the Windsock articles and read them when they were first published.  Great stuff then, as well as now.

- Yes, I know I need to mix my own, that was my point entirely and why I was looking at the WNW instructions as my ol' friend RAGIII had pointed me that way previously. Much easier in my mind to deal with the mixes on this instruction sheet than running up and down the aisle of <insert name of local craft establishment>, buying numerous paints that may or may not work.

Thanks for clearing up the formula for the dope gcn, I missed the formulation for that on their paint mixes.  I've got it now!

WD