Author Topic: CSM Dornier D.I with a problem  (Read 2550 times)

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
CSM Dornier D.I with a problem
« on: January 04, 2021, 12:07:27 AM »
I have dicided to work some more on this great, little kit. It is Copper State Models very first kit, 1001, from the old days of CSM.

It is mostly in resin, some parts are also in white metal, no p.e. (not really needed) and some fine decals from Microscale, so they should still be good after some 25 years. (I hope!!)

This is how far a got, got most of the resin parts fitted, eventhough the bottom wing broke in several parts when I dropped it, made a jig to get the struts in place for the main wing, sitting square and level.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:12:36 AM by hiddeous1973 »

Offline hiddeous1973

Re: CSM Dornier D.I with a problem
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 12:11:33 AM »
But then I came across a problem, I do not build too many resin kits.
There are millions of pin-holes on the bottom and every time I fill them they are completely full, but any light sanding reveals many, many new ones.
I think perhaps the entire bottom is crumbly? How do I deal with something like that?

Offline ermeio

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 12:50:59 AM »
Paint with thick gloss warnish, sand until it is flat and after use thick aluminium tape or aluminium from disposable aluminium oven lids to cover the fuselage: it is a metal fuselage and the trick should avoid that the resin bubbles reappear after some time.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 03:47:14 AM »
Hi Hidde ,

Resin is the devils medium to work with . Filling one or two air bubbles with putty works well but not for what you have uncovered . Further sanding will only revel more causing more work in the end . When I come across this with resin I fill with a thick super glue used for gap filling , will lay this down thick covering the whole surface , in this case the whole bottom of the fuselage . Let it sit just until it hardens and start sanding it smooth with polishing it out in the end . The long it sits the hard the glue gets making it very hard to sand . So once you start .....

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 05:12:37 AM »
Yes, Hidde, superglue (thick) and layers of surface primer may be the only way to go... As Alexis says, don't leave the superglue too long before starting sanding as it gets harder and harder... But a very interesting project, unusual, and you are brave to tackle it!
Regards,
Marc

Offline hiddeous1973

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 03:30:02 PM »
Yes, the superglue did it's work. Didn't have ant thick, so I used 2 layers of thin that worked ok. The first layer was indeed very hard, but so is the resin.
It is an old kit, about 25 years old and back then they used a very hard and brittle resin, the differance between solid resin and solid glue is not so big as it might be with the much softer versions of resin used by, say, Karaya or Eduard these days.

Many thanks for the suggestions, learned a new trick and the basic airframe is almost done. I have also found a reasonable BMW engine from an Eduard kit in the stash that fits and a seat, should be able to complete this kit at some point.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 11:26:11 PM »
Perfekt , glad you found a solution which work for you . Looking forward on seeing the final results Hidde

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .