Author Topic: WnW Hannover Cl.II finished (with a footnote)  (Read 22027 times)

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Re: WnW Hannover Cl.II
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2021, 01:33:07 AM »
Great work on the interiors Gerry! I look forward to seeing more !!!

Offline mgunns

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2021, 03:47:04 AM »
Good Ole' Mr. Surfacer!  Always a good choice and good to have around for those pesky seams.  What's nice about this model are the large openings to see the work you've done on the interior.  It's coming along nicely Gary and per usual, looking forward to the next update.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2021, 03:07:20 AM »
Thanks everyone for the encouragement to continue this build  ;)

Since starting the project I've had no idea how to paint the camo, and have reviewed the book by Ray Rimmel which had a few helpful tips and tricks. Non of which I thought were easy. I ordered some Frisket masking film and went ahead with the paint work on the underside of the mid-upper wing...something that can't be seen much and a good place to experiment with techniques.

I made a colour copy of the WnW instruction sheet showing the pattern for the mid wing section at as close to 1/32 scale as I could calculate, and transferred the pattern to the Friket film over a piece of clear acetate. By making dots at the intersections of colour, I cut out four templates for each colour to be sprayed on after placing the film on a pane of glass.

By lining up the film for each colour, they were airbrushed on and then the inevitable gaps were re-masked with bits of tape and touched up. Very laborious, but it did the job. I repeated the process for the upper surface (mixing five different colours) and it went slightly quicker.

I think I now have an idea of how to do the fuselage, so hopefully light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully my sequence of photos explain my process.

transfering the pattern to Friket film

the four masking templates for the lower side, sprayed a base colour

The upper side was based with ochre, and the first colour, mauve, has been airbrushed on.

The completed pattern on the underside - not perfect but acceptable

Upper side, again, not perfect but if you squint hard enough it'll work.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2021, 03:25:41 AM »
Gary, no squinting necessary.  Looks great.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2021, 07:23:30 AM »
A WWI Rubics cube......but very well done!!

Steve

Online RAGIII

« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2021, 09:01:44 AM »
It may have been laborious but the results are superb!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2021, 09:44:33 AM »
A WWI Rubics cube......but very well done!!

Steve

I like that , good one Steve !

Far better then what ever I could conquer up Gary , top notch  :)

Alexis 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 11:48:24 PM by Alexis »
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2021, 11:53:39 AM »
Thanks everyone! And Steve- the Rubics cube comment had me chortling too  :D
Cheers,
Gary

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2021, 02:29:33 PM »
Great work on interiors and stenciling. Colors look matching the wings' really well.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Borsos

« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2021, 05:58:23 PM »
Great technique, looks wonderful !
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2021, 10:01:55 PM »
The technique you're using appears to work fine.  I may suggest considering if you can paint the surface underneath one of the lightest colors overall, then you have to paint one fewer colors with the stencils and any gaps between the colors would be one of the colors.  Just an idea.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2021, 10:21:04 PM »
    Some very impressive work here Gary, I really admire your patient approach and ingenuity. The results are spectacular, this is going to be a very impressive model when it all comes together. I have this kit and have left it firmly on the shelf to ponder the "how to" of the expanded Lozenge finish so I'm following your steps and impressive results with no small amount of awe! Before I forget BTW, that interior work is simply outstanding as well!
    Following along on this one is a real treat!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2021, 01:13:22 AM »
Thanks to all for the kind words! Work continues on the fuselage with lots of masking/airbrushing ahead.

The technique you're using appears to work fine.  I may suggest considering if you can paint the surface underneath one of the lightest colors overall, then you have to paint one fewer colors with the stencils and any gaps between the colors would be one of the colors.  Just an idea.

Thanks for that Ken - that's exactly my plan. The upper surface colours were done that way, with the last two colours actually added by just masking the lozenges with small strips of Tamiya masking tape. I ended up only cutting two masks for the top.

The underside initially received a darker base colour (a faux pas on my part since I couldn't recognize the difference between X-17 and XF-17 when I mixed up and airbrushed it ::) ). That got redone later, and I left some of the tiny gaps since they're not worth the effort to hide, being hard to see on the final build. That was my experimental practice "steep learning curve". Regardless of colour - all the visible gaps need painting out during the "touch-up" stage.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline kkarlsen

• 'Old modeller' - Trying to catch up!
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2021, 01:55:15 AM »
It's just great to see your masking work Gary. Although laboriously it certainly pays off!

Cheers: Kent

Bughunter

« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2021, 02:34:57 AM »
Gary, once again you show that you always work very carefully and patiently.

I have a 1/48 Hannover in my stash, I guess I will try to copy your method in an electric form by using a vector graphic software.

Cheers,
Frank