Author Topic: Eduard 1/48 D.VII Carl Degelow  (Read 2815 times)

Offline rfindley

Eduard 1/48 D.VII Carl Degelow
« on: December 31, 2020, 05:05:04 AM »
This is my interpretation of Carl Degelow’s crate using the Eduard Dual Combo (Alb.) kit# 8134.  My second WW1 build and I think I’m hooked. The 5-Color Lozenge is by MicroSculpt, Axial Prop Decals by LF Models, and I modified the kit national markings and added a new upper wing stripe and wingtip markings from white decal to match WNW instructions which I felt were a bit more accurate compared to Eduard’s.

Rigging was done with ceramic Wonder Wire & polyimide tubing, control cables by Uschi, Spandaus by Master, and I added a telescopic sight and shimmed the leading edge of the upper wing to improve the camber.  Since the cowling is open I used a Roden engine instead of the Eduard.

Prop was done with colored pencils over Tamiya Desert Yellow XF-59 and finished with 50:50 Tamiya clear Orange & Yellow.  This was my first exposure to the joys of rib tape decaling.  I kept weathering to a minimum.

I’m happy with the results but the wing struts and especially the landing gear struts were fidgety for me.  Next time I’m going to have to try pinning or some kind of rig because it was very tedious.  I assume the Roden DVII will be much the same.  I had to use Microscale Decal Film on the Eduard decals.  For some reason they were brittle and tended to break up.

Offline RAGIII

Re: Eduard 1/48 D.VII Carl Degelow
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 07:11:07 AM »
Lovely DVII and one to be proud of for sure! I think I need to look into that ceramic wire for future SPAD builds! Excellent in all aspects!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 10:48:49 AM »
Really nice solid clean build , also noted the use of pencil crayons for the prop , well done  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 11:13:39 AM »
Wonderful build, indeed. One of the nicest 1/48 scale Fokker D.VIIs I seen.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 12:24:07 PM »
    You're "second WWI Build"?? I'd say you've started on a very positive footing and with a spectacular model. VERY nice! Clean finish and the detail looks like a much larger Scale, looking forward to your next and beyond!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 04:55:00 PM »
Very nice finishing, lozenges application is top class.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Bughunter

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 09:34:24 PM »
As others said a very nice model!

My second WW1 build and I think I’m hooked.
That sounds promising! Great to see another 48 modeler!

Rigging was done with ceramic Wonder Wire & polyimide tubing
Need to know more about it! Is there a source in Europe?

Cheers,
Frank

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 10:30:24 PM »
Nice work, rfindley.  The prop looks very good and I like how you finished the white tail with the subtle yellowing between the lighter tapes.

Offline rfindley

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 03:53:12 AM »
Nice work, rfindley.  The prop looks very good and I like how you finished the white tail with the subtle yellowing between the lighter tapes.
Kensar;

At first I tried to tape the ribs and edges with the idea of spraying a light, but darker dusting coat but that just wasn't working out for me.  I'm not steady enough to airbrush freehand the shadows either.  So I put down a base coat of Vallejo Ivory 70.918 then freehanded with a brush the ribs and edges with Vallejo White.  After that I just airbrushed a thin dusting coat of White to soften the edges.  Not perfect but looked good to my eye.

Offline rfindley

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 04:05:37 AM »

Rigging was done with ceramic Wonder Wire & polyimide tubing
Need to know more about it! Is there a source in Europe?

Frank;

Wonder Wire is a ceramic fiber, very stiff and straight.  It has a metallic gray sheen to it and is about 6 mil.   Ten feet for $15 USD.
I get it from a guy in Vermont and as far as I know he is the only source and I believe he gets it from the manufacturer .  I've never seen it elsewhere.   

As far as I know this is a part-time, one-man operation: Precision Enterprises.  No web site or email address to my knowledge so you have to call him.  Mon-Fri AFTER 5 pm EST and Sat 10am-5pm EST. 

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 09:55:40 AM »
If that is only your second WW1 type then the future looks very bright indeed for future builds. That model is a stunner - beautifully finished and rigged. The engine and cockpit details are super.

Stephen.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 06:06:17 PM »
That is very nice indeed!

I have just received the Eduard ‘Du Noch Nicht!!’ boxing of their D.VII, Dr.I and Albatros (Udet) so have an interest in your results.

I too, have looked before for ceramic wonder wire, with no success. If anyone else tracks some down please let me know!

Great result,

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline rfindley

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 01:24:48 AM »

I too, have looked before for ceramic wonder wire, with no success. If anyone else tracks some down please let me kno

Guy

Guy - see my response to Frank - two messages above

Rick

Offline rfindley

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2021, 01:32:32 AM »
My apologies.....you can't call if I don't give you the phone number:

Ceramic Fiber (Wonder Wire) from Precision Enterprises in Vermont. They don't have a web presence, but take orders by phone.

Their number is 802-885-3094 (after 5 PM, Mon - Fri, 10 AM - 5 PM Sat).   Ten feet for $15 USD

As before this seems to be a one-man, part-time operation. I've ordered a couple of times from him and received good service.  He is the only source as far as I know.

Rick

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2021, 02:42:36 AM »
Hi Rick,

Yes, I saw that, just meant no easily accessible retail outlets seem to have it. I might try him though. Thanks.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941