Author Topic: How many Richard Krauts were there?  (Read 1827 times)

Offline jimmaas

How many Richard Krauts were there?
« on: December 30, 2020, 12:55:12 PM »
I've gotten interested in an early (streaky) Fokker D.VII, allegedly Jasta 4 and allegedly addociated with Lt. (Reserves) Richard Kraut. It's the one with a tilted white shield, with black cross, on the fuselage.  Some sources also show red and black chordwise striping on the horizontal tail.  In trying to understand this scheme, I've run into some questions - Kraut is (in Jasta Pilots) } flying with Jasta 4 (Aug 3 18 - Oct 25 18) and then Jasta 66 (till end of war).  Schmaling's new Jasta Colors notes him with Jasta 4 and 65 (typo?) and numerous sources associate him with Jasta 63, flying (as in the WnW kit) a later D.VII with 'RK' in white on the fuselage side.  So were there more than one of these Krauts? 

And really my interest is in the early D.VII, since I believe that shield is intended to represent the symbol of the Teutonic Knights, which would in turn suggest a different color combination (golden yellow and black) for the tail stripes.

Any help appreciated.....

Online RAGIII

Re: How many Richard Krauts were there?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 03:58:39 AM »
As far as I know it is the Same RK just after his arrival at Jasta 4. He was given the Oldest DVII in the Jasta, a former Jasta 6 aircraft. Now it gets interesting. The tail stripes according to most are just overpainted Jasta 6 stripes. If that is so then they must have just painted fresh black over the white as the lighter areas are Where The Original Black of Jasta 6 would be! I have studied this photo for years and wonder if indeed the stripes were overpainted in different colors? Also note that there are Many Non Standard Louvres on the nose panels! Good luck with your research  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jimmaas

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 04:40:32 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  I understand one explanation for the tail stripes is overpainted Jasta 6 white-black stripes, but if you paint black over black and white stripes, it would seem that the areas previously white would be lighter than the areas previously white.  Based on the normal depiction of Jasta 6 tails, this tail has lighter stripes where the black would have been, and darker where the white would have been.  Strange. 

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 05:27:03 AM »
That's what I would expect to find. My impression is that paints of that era were not terribly durable, being degraded by light and the movement of the fabric

So the Jasta 6 black paint would have become grey with time, whereas the new paint over the white stripes would be - black

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 05:46:03 AM »
That's what I would expect to find. My impression is that paints of that era were not terribly durable, being degraded by light and the movement of the fabric

So the Jasta 6 black paint would have become grey with time, whereas the new paint over the white stripes would be - black

Richard

Yes, that was one of the options I mentioned. Just painted out the white with fresh black. By the way Nice to see you posting !
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jimmaas

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 01:34:55 PM »
Okay, that makes sense!  Thank you both for your help.  Have a good new year!