Author Topic: Ansaldo SVA 5; Fly 1/48; 8.1.2021 on hold  (Read 6395 times)

Offline Borsos

Re: Ansaldo SVA 5; Fly 1/48; 30.12.2020 Undercarriage
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 08:40:26 PM »
Breathtaking like all of your brass-n-woodwork. I‘ll place an order for my next 1/32 fuselage...! ;D
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Bughunter

Ansaldo SVA 5; Fly 1/48; Question: tail skid
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2020, 09:19:59 PM »
Thx Alexis!

If I were the Jealous type I would be really pissed about how great your work is in all respects. Damn Frank, that is some awesome work! Not Jealous, but certainly inspired to do better!
Rick, very kind of you! You are a strong supporter of my builds, thank you!

we know your wonderful skills but this time you raised the bar once more.
Thank you Giuseppe, I'm surprised, that this is still possible. But with such nice references I can try to do it better.

and am looking forward to seeing what you 'fix' next
:D I should start to work on the cockpit, so that the fuselage can be closed soon ::)

I‘ll place an order for my next 1/32 fuselage...! ;D
In _that_ huge scale? I don't think that will work because I don't have such a crude tool. 8)

Does anyone has a information about the tail skid? It looks like a laminated spring. On some b/w pictures in the Datafile it looks like wood, but on colored paintings it looks like metal? The pictures of the museum aircraft I have don't show that detail.
Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline gbrivio

Re: Ansaldo SVA 5; Fly 1/48; Question: tail skid
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2021, 02:20:52 AM »
Should be a steel leaf spring. trying to get a better image and pm.
Giuseppe

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2021, 09:46:27 AM »
I miss a day on this site and you have remastered half a kit in that time! As usual Frank, you leave mere amateur modellers like me standing and gasping for breath with your wood and metal working skills. I think that I will stick with 1/72 scale where the lack of detail on my models is less obvious.

Stephen.

Offline Edo

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2021, 07:45:56 PM »
woa!
i am stunned by such a great amount of craftmanship!
ciao
edo

Offline ermeio

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2021, 12:17:37 AM »
Here is a picture I took at the Italian Air Force Museum:

Offline ermeio

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2021, 12:43:12 AM »
I also put some pictures in the WWI aircraft section of this website, so that you can use them for reference.
I did not want to hijack your thread with detail photos of the real aircraft...

Offline ColonelKrypton

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2021, 05:07:11 AM »
Ansaldo SVA 5

And now a completely new story for me: please fasten your seat belts!

A block of eight soldered brass PE stripes.

Filed and drilled into the left block, also another block of 12 plates.

De-soldered into single plates, bend them and soldered onto the base plates.
On top right some work is needed for a different type.

What an excellent idea! I am going to have to give that technique a try. Let's see, a spot of solder paste, stack, and with either a soldering iron or a hot air tool - heat then cool. Sounds easy enough but I am sure there will be a pretty steep learning curve and practice makes perfect.

The challenge is in the "how do you hold this thing?" when making these small bits. I have done something similar using CA to glue a number of tiny bits together while I filled and drilled away on them. A bit of CA debonder or acetone will separate the finished bits. I also often use a CA chuck ( AKA CA arbor or wax chuck ) on my lathe.

For those that don't know or might be intrigued on what a CA chuck is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0svTlISjr3s

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMh1mYmCb00

This gentleman has some very interesting videos detailing his clockmaking activities with much detail of how to and making his own tools.

cheers, Graham

Bughunter

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2021, 05:37:19 AM »
Thank you Stephen, edo, ermeio and Graham!

ermeio, thank you for the helpful pictures! I added my references to the new thread.

What an excellent idea! I am going to have to give that technique a try.
I used and showed it sometimes, also with milling or on lathe that block if the parts are big enough. Self made PE for the poor ;D

Cheers,
Frank

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2021, 07:31:33 AM »
Well Frank - the work shown here is in a league of it's own. Hats off to you for your display of incredible skill.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2021, 12:09:34 PM »
I don't have any superlative to say how impressed I am with your work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2021, 01:08:38 AM »
Wow, Frank! Your work is an inspiration and an education. I follow closely with much pleasure... Just lovely! Great to see how much useful information the members of this site do provide... ATB, Marc.

Bughunter

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2021, 04:28:50 AM »
Wow, thank you for your great feedback!

Well Frank - the work shown here is in a league of it's own. Hats off to you for your display of incredible skill.
Gary - thank you very much for your highly motivating words! And such feedback from a great modeler and painter like you, another wow.
Only a model builder can understand what is really behind it. My wife partly and some friends not really.

Great to see how much useful information the members of this site do provide...
Exactly Marc! Originally I wanted to work on the cockpit, but with the new infos I have done the tail skid 8) I have to work on the pictures and a updated will follow soon.

Cheers,
Frank

Bughunter

Ansaldo SVA 5; Fly 1/48; 2.1.2021 Tail skid
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2021, 06:10:15 AM »
Tail skid

My first update in the new year. With the new information, it was too tempting to turn to the tail skid immediately :)

On the left the tail skid from the kit, on a picture in the Datafile. The size was according to the drawings, but the plastic is very brittle. So I had to replace it anyway to be able to travel to exhibitions.
I made a laminated spring from nickel silver (brass was too soft) and prebend every single layer of different size. At the end of the block I soldered the layers together. The clamp was made from a thinner nickel silver stripe, bolted with 0.33mm nickel silver. As final step the spring was chemical browned ("brünieren" in German).

Again in a side view.

The holding clamp to the fuselage was made from two "U". After a lot of drilling and filing I soldered the second thin "U" for strengthening to one side. I filed also the end of the spring more flat and soldered it into the U. The little wedge is made from real wood.

The wedge was glued onto the spring. The whole tail skid is here plugged on to the fuselage and can be later mounted with five little "bolts" on each side, as on ermeios picture.

I used the upper sides of the second "U" as mounting points for the tailplane struts, since I was not able to cut and bend out the ear as on original mount due to the small scale.

And because it's so nice, here's how the tail skid can support the fuselage even without bolting it on ;)

I am satisfied with the result - this is one of the nicest detail I ever made. It's really fun when you guys are egging me on too 8)
Yes, I know: The Datafile shows 5 laminations, but ermeios picture only 4 ??? And my sheet was a little bit to thick, but so the spring is very robust now!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Gisbod

Re: Ansaldo SVA 5; Fly 1/48; 2.1.2021 Tail skid
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2021, 06:14:46 AM »
Fabulous Frank,

I wouldn’t dream of detailing to your level - hats off to you.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941