Author Topic: Dh4 from a dh9 any conversions  (Read 1085 times)

Offline rayb24

Dh4 from a dh9 any conversions
« on: December 27, 2020, 02:46:14 AM »
Are there any conversions from a Wingnut wings Dh9 to a Dh4. I know the wings and tailplane were the same between the DH4 and dh9 (not the 9a though - longer wingspan).

Is there a resin fuselage made by anyone?

The Dh4 was such a ubiquitous aircraft in 1917/18

Of course maybe Roden will upscale there 1/48th kit.

Just some post Christmas dinner musings..

Offline rhallinger

Re: Dh4 from a dh9 any conversions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 04:44:31 AM »
I’ve been toying with that idea myself.  I’d love to do a USAS 50th Sq.  “Old Dutch Cleanser” bird.  Attractive paint scheme, IMO.

I think some custom vacuform parts would be necessary for the cowling and the cockpit turtle deck area, since the pilot’s seat/cockpit would need to be move forward under the top wing to create the separation between pilot and observer that the DH9 was intended to correct.   The fuselage would be challenging but doable, I believe.

If I recall correctly, the wings present a more difficult problem, as the DH9A wings are slightly different in length and chord, though not substantially, but enough for some to want to replace them.  I think the DH9A wings would look good enough as is to capture the  “look and feel” of the DH4, but sticklers would be bothered by the difference.

There may well be other differences to deal with, but I believe those are the major items.  My research has gone no further, although I may come back to this in several months.  Let me know how you make out!

Best regards,

Bob

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 12:06:11 AM »
I just re-read your post, and I see you are talking about the DH9 as a base, rather than the 9A.  The 9A fuselage would be easier to modify to a DH4 (that is what I was talking about), but the 9A wings are slightly different dimensionally in both aspects.  You mention the DH9 wings as being the same as a DH4.  My research has not progressed that far, and I was narrow-mindedly looking at a single kit conversion, but if the DH9 wings match, I suppose (without looking) one could take them from a WNW DH9 kit, combining them with the WNW Ninack fuselage.  However, this will be a very pricey proposition, although based on the natural laws of scale modeling, it would likely result in Roden or someone else producing a 1/32 DH4 kit within a year of completion of this conversion. ;D

Cheers,

Bob

Offline rayb24

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 11:28:53 AM »
I was indeed going to use a DH9 as the starting point. More because the span on a 9a is more than 3ft different. Dh4 and dh9 are listed at 42 ft 4 inches same as a dh4. DH9a is 45 ft 10 inches.
I just looked at the windsock datafiles and yes the tailplane and wings are the same, rib for rib even.
In fact it looks like the fuselage is close right up to the front of the observer pit. Then things change. Ian Stair who drew both plans does give you nice cross sections along the fuselage. But it does indeed look like a lot of work.
The underside of the DH9 has bomb slots as well so quite different.

What got me thinking about the DH4 was this youtube video of the partially restored original DH4

https://youtu.be/EMhoGlarvm8

Here is the Flying reproduction DH4 in New Zealand

https://youtu.be/S6fgluN5CFc

Ray
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 11:45:43 PM by rayb24 »

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 11:44:30 PM »
Thanks for the information Ray.  I had not realized that the wing length was that much different--clearly more than insubstantial!  It would be an interesting conversion, but pricy.  Oh well, someone will do a DH4 in 1/32 eventually, maybe. ;D

Best regards,

Bob