Author Topic: Roden 1/32 Nieuport 24bis, Charles Nungesser  (Read 2836 times)

Online rhallinger

Roden 1/32 Nieuport 24bis, Charles Nungesser
« on: December 21, 2020, 06:27:11 AM »
I have always wanted to build a model of this aircraft, since seeing a color illustration of it back in 1968 when I was a kid.  I discovered this book--"Heroes & Aeroplanes of the Great War 1914-1918," by Joseph A. Phelan--in my school library and it sparked my interest in WWI aircraft and pilots.  Here is the book and illustration which resulted in this model finally being completed over 50 years later:

Phelan Book by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

Phelan Book by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

I have previously built the Roden Nie.27 in 1/32, which is essentially the same kit (all alternate parts are included), so I was ready for the fit challenges and puzzling through construction challenges.  This was pretty much an OOB build by intention, although I made a new seat from card stock and took the Nungesser personal emblem and rudder data from the CSM Nieuport 17 kit, as I have alternate markings for that one.  The rudder number from the 17 works for the 24bis, as Nungesser felt it was a lucky number for him and moved his 17 rudder over to the 24bis, giving this aircraft the same number as his earlier Nieuport 17.  The French cockades are from the kit decal sheet, and the wing and fuselage tri-color flashes were masked and painted. The tri-color flashes are slightly different shades of red and blue than the cockade decals, but I was ok with that, as the only decent B&W photo I have of this aircraft seems to show slightly different tones between the flashes and the cockades anyway.  I suspect that the flashes were added in the field and slightly different shade of paint was used.   I used Vallejo metallic acrylics for the silver finish, and was very pleased with them.

It all worked out, and I am very happy with the final result.  The Charles Nungesser figure is a pre-painted miniature from John Jenkins, and I like the pose and the overall look. 

Nungesser Nieuport 24bis, Final by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

I am pleased to add this one to my shelf in 2020.  The modeling has helped maintain a vestige of normalcy in these abnormal times.  Now all I need is a 1/32 Halberstadt D.ii to complete that scene!

Cheers,

Bob

Online Radarman

Re: Roden 1/32 Nieuport 24bis, Charles Nungesser
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 06:39:47 AM »
Bob,
We can't have too many Nieuports around here. Your's looks great!

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 06:56:49 AM »
A beautifully crafted Noop  :o

Well done, Bob!

vB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 07:23:56 AM »
Very nice Bob, great clean finish and the aluminum is exceptional. Compliments on your photo skills as well.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline macsporran

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 08:15:14 AM »
The same Phelan book was also partially responsible for my wwi fixation at much the same time. Snap!
Eye catching model Bob, excellent results. More proof of how good a model can be built out of a Roden box.
(Not so sure about Nungesser's mascara - but that is somebody else's paint job!)
Lovely stuff.
Sandy

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 08:23:13 AM »
Superb Bob,I honestly thought I was looking at a real aircraft for a second when I saw the first photo!
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 01:37:57 PM »
Exceptional work on your Nieuport Bob! Lovely finish and great photos! You tempt Me to take another shot at the one I stalled on!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 02:31:08 AM »
Absolutely wonderful Nieuport, this is a very nice color sheme perfectly executed. And I completely agree regarding tha Halberstadt D. II: We urgently need one in 1:32!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online rhallinger

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 05:13:58 AM »
Thanks for all of your kind comments and support.

(Not so sure about Nungesser's mascara - but that is somebody else's paint job!)

I agree Sandy, the eyeliner is a head-scratcher.  I may have to correct that.  Miniature eyes are often outlined in a dark color during painting the face, but it's customary to paint over the lining with the base facial tone.  I'll have to get that sorted at some point.

Cheers,

Bob   

Bughunter

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 07:03:52 AM »
What a great story behind this build, and I nice Nieuport!
I really like the connection between books (or comics) and models.

Cheers,
Frank

PS: I would tone done the green of your grass mat. Blow some brown and beige tones irregular with airbrush over it and it do not hurt the eyes anymore ;)

Offline ModelCellar

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 11:32:12 AM »
Bob,

That's a very nice build.  Looks great !

Paul

Online rhallinger

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 12:17:16 PM »
What a great story behind this build, and I nice Nieuport!
I really like the connection between books (or comics) and models.

Cheers,
Frank

PS: I would tone done the green of your grass mat. Blow some brown and beige tones irregular with airbrush over it and it do not hurt the eyes anymore ;)

Good idea on the toning down the grass mat, Frank.  I'll get to that before the next photo session!  Your reference to comics is interesting, too, because as a kid I was really taken with the DC "Enemy Ace" comics in the late 1960s, featuring Hans von Hammer in his red Dr.I.  I've always thought about building a model of the mythic black SPAD of Von Hammer's nemesis, the French ace known as The Hangman. 

Hangman’ SPAD by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

Fun memories from childhood!

Cheers,

Bob

Bughunter

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 06:07:41 AM »
Your reference to comics is interesting, too
I was flashed the first time by that idea when my old friend Ulf build a diorama with a Avro Lancaster, "S-Snowwhite" aus "Die sieben Zwerge" of Marvano. It was about a Lancaster crew, to young to get a driving licence, but old enough to die while dropping bombs on the krauts.

Really pitty, I can't show it because the pictures are lost and Ulf passed away already much to young.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 06:26:18 AM »
Very finely built, very colourful, I like it very much!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 04:55:04 PM »
That's one of my favorite books from my youth.  Love that picture too...I think a Halberstadt needs to be in your future!

Great work...Dan