Author Topic: Roden 1/72 Bristol Fighter  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Danh4

Roden 1/72 Bristol Fighter
« on: December 18, 2020, 01:40:14 PM »
Probably the last model I'll get done in 2020.  I've been avoiding this kit in my stash for many years because of the flimsy attachment of the lower wing to the fuselage but it is stronger than it looks and not as hard to get together as I thought it would be.  I used decals from an old Airfix kit rather than struggle with Roden's and rigged it with .005" Nitinol wire.
-Dan

Offline macsporran

Re: Roden 1/72 Bristol Fighter
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 06:09:41 PM »
Beautifully done. A jewel.
Sandy

Offline acewwi

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 09:46:59 PM »
Wonderful,  ;) ;)
Dan can you describe to us your experience about Nitinol wire.
Spyros

Offline Danh4

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 02:25:31 AM »
Wonderful,  ;) ;)
Dan can you describe to us your experience about Nitinol wire.
Spyros
Sure!  If anyone is not familiar with Nitinol wire, it is a "memory" wire which means you can bend it, tie it in a knot, etc. and it will always spring back to straight.  It is a dark brownish gray in color with a slight metallic sheen to it. I've been using it to rig 1/72 biplanes for many years and the process hasn't changed much since I first started.  I use a pair of dividers to determine the length of each wire, then test-fit until the fit is just right- this gets easier with experience!  I cut the wire on a ceramic tile with a regular X-acto blade.  Tiny spots of white glue are then put at each anchor point on the model and the wire is set into place.  You'd be amazed at how strong the attachment is, I've had to use pliers to pull a mis-placed wire off.  The main advantage to rigging this way is that there are no holes to drill and all the rigging can be done after the model is painted and decaled.  Give it a try!
-Dan

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 02:31:39 AM »
Excellent Brisfit. That is so much better than the old Airfix offering. I do like your rigging too. Your method is very similar to my own, except that I use rolled copper wire: as you write it is so much easier not to have to drill holes.

Stephen.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 06:28:10 AM »
Very fine model, looks like a bigger scale.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 09:03:20 AM »
Nicely done! I also use Nitinol wire for rigging.  Beats drilling holes everywhere.

Offline ModelCellar

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 10:15:29 AM »
Very nicely done !!
I had never heard of Nitinol Wire.  That sounds very interesting that it goes back to it's shape (straight).  So then I'm assuming you buy it straight? i.e. like in a tube?  or is it on a roll? If it was on a roll, then would it want to bend into a circular shape?  Where do you buy it?  Can you point us (me) to a source.  I looked on line and see some vendors, One has 2 ft lengths in tubes while some have 30 ft on a coil.  Which do you use?  Also, can you recommend what thickness to buy for a 1/48 build vs a 1/32 build? 

Offline Danh4

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 10:37:36 AM »
Very nicely done !!
I had never heard of Nitinol Wire.  That sounds very interesting that it goes back to it's shape (straight).  So then I'm assuming you buy it straight? i.e. like in a tube?  or is it on a roll? If it was on a roll, then would it want to bend into a circular shape?  Where do you buy it?  Can you point us (me) to a source.  I looked on line and see some vendors, One has 2 ft lengths in tubes while some have 30 ft on a coil.  Which do you use?  Also, can you recommend what thickness to buy for a 1/48 build vs a 1/32 build?
I do buy it in straight pieces and I have seen it sold in coils but I'm not sure if that is the same "Super Elastic" type that the straight wire is.  Maybe someone else has experience with the coiled stuff and can let us know about it.  I've been buying it here lately- https://componentsupplycompany.com/product-pages/nitinol-wire.php  and you can see that they have a good range of diameters and lengths to choose from.  Buy plenty because you'd be surprised at how much goes into a model.  I've used almost 3 ft. on one double-bay 1/72 model with very little waste.  I'm not sure which diameter would look right on larger scale models, you might have to buy single pieces of a few different sizes at first to see what looks right.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2020, 03:17:56 AM »
That is absolutely beautiful - well done indeed, Dan
Cheers,
Gary

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 05:16:43 AM »
1/72 of pure magic!
Lovely build.

Well done  ;)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline ModelCellar

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 02:32:58 AM »
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the info.  What diameter did you use on your 1/72 Bristol?

Paul

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2020, 03:41:33 AM »
Well Done !!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Danh4

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2020, 06:08:44 AM »
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the info.  What diameter did you use on your 1/72 Bristol?

Paul
Paul,
I used .005".

Dan

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2020, 07:31:30 AM »
that's a lovely looking build of a great subject