Author Topic: Taking the "Bow" out of the Meng 1/32nd Fokker Triplane, upper wing.  (Read 2138 times)

Offline mgunns

Another way to straighten the upper wing on the Meng 1/32nd Fokker DR.I Triplane.
 I have read of modelers efforts to undo the dihedral on the upper wing of the Meng Tri-plane kit, from hot water, to just judicious bending and hoping the wing doesn't break.  Here is what I have come up with.  First, ensure you have a straight surface.  You can see in the images below I am using a particle board shelf that is pretty close to straight.

Next, I need two clamps and round toothpick. 

Using the clamps, clamp each end of the wing to the board.   Find center on the wing; it's the panel with the window on it, and slide the toothpick under the wing to give the wing "anhedral". 

Next, with a hair drier on hot start to blow hot air over the wing.  Moving the hair dryer continuously back and forth.  Check frequently to ensure the wing is straight.  Once the modeler is sure the wing is straight, remove the tooth pick and clamp the wing to the shelf, let sit overnight.

And:  Viola!  You have a straight wing.

If the wing curves back repeat the process.   I did this to my kit's upper wing about three weeks ago and it is still straight.  It only takes a few minutes and takes the worry out of ruining the wing.  Good luck.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Vickers

Re: Taking the "Bow" out of the Meng 1/32nd Fokker Triplane, upper wing.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 08:59:51 PM »
Thanks for the demonstration! I've been quite nervous about the prospect of trying to use manual force or boiling to correct my two kits. What setting did you use on the dryer?
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Bughunter

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 12:16:40 AM »
Thanks, good HowTo!
It comes to late for my Fokker D.V, the wings are also not straight. Now it is too late, already painted.
For resin wings hot water should also work, would it work for styrene too?

Cheers,
Frank

Offline mgunns

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 01:17:11 AM »
Thanks for the demonstration! I've been quite nervous about the prospect of trying to use manual force or boiling to correct my two kits. What setting did you use on the dryer?

Hi Frank and Vickers:  I just put it on high and moved the hair dryer back and forth, frequently touching the plastic to ensure it wasn't at the melting point, which I don't think it is.  If  you keep it moving the plastic doesn't have a chance to get to the melting point.  Do it for about three minutes and then check the wing.  If it is still warped, do it again.  As the Meng kit is Styrene it worked fine for me.  I don't know and can't say how it would work on Resin.  The principle is the same as the modeler is applying heat to the object, but if you have resin, test it first.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Vickers

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 03:08:41 AM »
Thanks, Mark.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Ronkootje

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 08:06:22 PM »
I have just put the whole sprue with the wings on in and removed all parts that don't need straightening in the oven at 100 degrees and sit and wait  in front of the oven until it is just as flat as the stainless steel plate I put under it.
Worked great.

Ron

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 11:01:37 PM »
I put the wings in the oven like Ron, but helped straightening by gently manipulating. I was unlucky as my Dr.I come with all three wings bent and the broken right side coaming.
Next time I will try clamp and hairdryer style.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 12:23:58 AM »
Excellent show and tell.
Thank you, Mark!

Bob  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith