Author Topic: Schoolboy build 2  (Read 1894 times)

Offline macsporran

Schoolboy build 2
« on: December 11, 2020, 10:49:13 PM »
Another oldie built in my sixties schooldays - the Aurora Gotha, probably my favourite model of all time. That big box was so exciting after all the puny Airfix bagged kits - and the distinctive Aurora smell when you opened it. Lovely metallic wine red coloured plastic, black wheels, crew and groundcrew on base - unfortunately lost here.

Again I spent ages sanding off the raised markings and hand painting the hexagons (to my own idea of what lozenge looked like. These were the days when I hand painted lozenges on the Fokker D.VIII (wooden) wing!!!). Stretched sprue by the yard.

Model survived until the nineties in my folks house when these pcs were taken. Goodness knows what happened to it after that.

Mind you it was a good size for displaying - I sold my WNW Gotha coz it was just too big.
Sandy

Offline macsporran

Re: Schoolboy build 2
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 10:50:27 PM »
Gone but not forgotten!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 02:46:14 AM »
Painting that was a labour of love. Reminds me of the lozenges I hand painted on an Airfix Albatros in the mid-1970's - I would have been a little older than you when I painted mine, which I still have in the cabinet. Also rigged with (much less) stretched sprue.

Stephen.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 05:12:33 PM »
Now that is something special - a labour of love but still very well executed - well done!

Cheers,

BC

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 11:49:07 PM »
I missed this one totally !

Thanks for sharing one of your Childhood builds , turned out really well Sandy !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 12:07:34 AM »
Awesome work for a "School Boy"  ;D That hand painted hex lozenge is Fantastic! Amazing work on this one.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline macsporran

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 01:42:09 AM »
Thank you for your kind comments. It was so long ago - the paints were Humbrol "authentic" enamels - for Napoleonic uniforms!
Sandy

Offline WD

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 10:42:45 AM »
That's some kind of awesome, much less for a "school boy build". Considering your age, experience level, and lack of resources and references, that's outstanding IMHO.

WD