Author Topic: Schoolboy build 1  (Read 2119 times)

Online macsporran

Schoolboy build 1
« on: December 11, 2020, 10:32:13 PM »
Ha, here's an oldie. Original Merit DH2 (not Artiplast or Smer reissues - scratch that paint and there's green plastic underneath!)

I built the Aurora and Merit kits way back when I was at school in the late sixties and a few survived, sprue rigging and all, in my folks house until these pictures were taken sometime in the nineties.

I remember sanding down the raised roundel positions then hand painting the insignia coz the trannies (transfers - ie decals as we now call them) wouldn't adhere and silvered - see serial number. Surprised I didn't burn the house down stretching sprue over a candle.
We've come a long way.
Sandy

Offline lone modeller

Re: Schoolboy build 1
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 02:43:12 AM »
What sacle is this Sandy?

For someone still at school who made this, there was definitely talent around. No wonder you are making such super models now.

Stephen.

Online macsporran

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 02:54:06 AM »
Many thanks Stephen, it was 1/48 - "quarter scale"
I bought Harry Woodman's book Scale Model Aircraft in Plastic when I was about 15 and that changed my modelling very much for the better. Any good stuff thereafter is all due to HW.
Sandy

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 11:56:58 PM »
This kit brings back memories ,  never did finish my and have no idea what happened to it .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 12:04:55 AM »
Amazing work on that DH2! Some of the best stretched sprue rigging I have seen  8) Old School Modeling for sure!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online macsporran

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 01:36:25 AM »
My 15 year old self thanks you for your kind comments. I have learnt much in the years since, but I wish I still had the eyesight I had then!
Sandy

Offline WD

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 10:44:16 AM »
And none of that 40+ year old sprue has sagged!

Great job sir!

WD