Author Topic: Stitching over wing ribs on Fokker Dr. I?  (Read 1202 times)

Offline crouthaj

Stitching over wing ribs on Fokker Dr. I?
« on: December 11, 2020, 01:33:49 PM »
Dear triplane enthusiasts,
Is the stitching over the wing ribs of the Fokker Dr. I (on the Meng kit) correct?  I don't see this stitching in any photos or reference books, and am thus inclined to sand this off before applying streaking effect.

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated before I get out the anti-stitching blade.

Thanks,
Jason

Offline acewwi

Re: Stitching over wing ribs on Fokker Dr. I?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 12:38:38 AM »
Hi Jason

I think it is correct. I believed the same when I first saw it. A careful look at photos from WNWs site reinforce my point of view. In any case they seem a bit excessive.

Spyros

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 01:11:33 AM »
Dear triplane enthusiasts,
Is the stitching over the wing ribs of the Fokker Dr. I (on the Meng kit) correct?  I don't see this stitching in any photos or reference books, and am thus inclined to sand this off before applying streaking effect.

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated before I get out the anti-stitching blade.

Thanks,
Jason

This is one of those questions  that is being "Hotly" debated on The WNW Fan group on Face Book.  The "Stitching" provided represents the Fabric being Tacked onto the ribs.  This was certainly done on the F1's and perhaps the First DR1's before the wing failures. The debate centers around the rest of the Dr1 production. Drawings were produced showing "Corrections" needed on the revised wing due to the failure that involved stitching the fabric. Richard Alexander has questioned if this was in fact carried out and other  DR1 historians say yes. In the end I would say this. Whatever the case may be the effect is probably "Overdone" for the scale as are most of the kits with prominent stitching. ( Similar to Many arguments about panel lines on Jet aircraft in scale) I have left mine as is but others opinions may vary.  JMHO,
RAGIII
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 01:17:50 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline crouthaj

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 10:58:38 AM »
Dear fellow modelers,
Thanks so much for your detailed and informative responses -- those photos are quite helpful!  Though there does seem to be some evidence of stitching (a slight ridge/bump), I think Meng has overdone it...I'll experiment with sanding them down (or completely removing them).

Thanks again,
Jason