Author Topic: „Somewhere in the Soviet Union, Summer 1941“ — Mini Art Mercedes  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Borsos

Hi all!

This year is not an airplane year for me. After my Sopwith Pup in spring I had to stop every other ongoing WW1 related project.

From time to time I have these days or months respectively when I need to build something completely different. I can‘t say if it`s Covid that brings me down to earth and into some armoured vehicles (2020 is a tank year for me). The end of WNW also made me stop touching their kits. I‘ll keep them in my stash at the moment as I don’t own any gold or wines instead...
Besides of all I had planned to visit St. Petersburg this summer which was impossible due to the pandemic. That also brought me to buy some books about „operation“ Barbarossa 1941 and to get deeper into reading about these horrifying events.
Here’s one of those by-products of this lecture:

Best regards,
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Bughunter

Re: „Somewhere in the Soviet Union, Summer 1941“ — Mini Art Mercedes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 11:07:49 PM »
The scene is so dark and creepy (although you can't see anything at all) that it makes my back run cold.
You are a great modeler, painter and story teller!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 02:29:17 AM »
Magnificent Andreas, and I share Frank's emotions, you've told a story and captured the emotion of the events portrayed on your base. Chilling but very evocative scene.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 04:35:24 AM »
I agree entirely with Frank and Lance: your models are brilliant examples of a skilled craftsman, but you also show the dark side of our subjects which we so often ignore/forget. I truly admire your skill in presenting both sides in such a striking manner. Thank you for reminding us about what war really means to so many unfortunate people who were/are caught up in such horrors.

Stephen. 

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 05:44:14 AM »
Thank you, once more, Andreas!!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 06:21:49 AM »
Thank you very much, Frank, Lance, Stephen and Richard. Your kind words mean a lot to me!
Andreas
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 03:22:28 AM »
Stunning work, Andreas! Beautifully presented and the story telling is superb... Well done! Marc.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 04:57:53 AM »
Thank you very much for looking by and commenting, Marc!
Andreas
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 06:49:24 AM »
Very nice scene, gives feelings.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Borsos

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 01:26:15 AM »
Thank you very much Giuseppe!
Andreas
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline FAf

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 02:06:41 AM »
If an idea is worth stealing, then you know it's a good idea!, someone probably said at some point... I might steal the idea for the base, if I may?! :)

Apart from that, I find my self slightly unsettled by conflicting feelings created by the model and scene in contrast to the pictures on the side of the base. Which I suppose is the idea with the composition... well done!
/Fredrik

Offline macsporran

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 02:39:50 AM »
I'd call that Art rather than Craft. You have modelled the scene so well but the implicit horror of what is being filmed is quite visceral. That should replace many a Hockney daub or Banksi scrawl in the final valuation of such things. Marvellous.
It should also be compulsory viewing for so many of our brethren who build endless glorified Luftwaffe and Panzer subjects without considering the awful consequences their victories unleashed via the foul Einsatzgruppen that followed in the wake of the regular troops.
Thank you, Andreas
Sandy

Offline Borsos

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 06:23:45 AM »
Thank you very much for your comments, you are too kind Fredrik and Sandy. Sandy, it’s exactly these impressions that I have from quite a few model exhibitions around, an uneasy feeling when so many get carried away by their fascination for Tigers and Focke-Wulfs without bearing in mind (or even worse: with excusing!) what‘s behind these things. Fredrik, i feel honored if another modeller gets inspired by my work and can make use of it — like I do it when I see other models  :)
Best regards,

Andreas
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 01:35:22 AM »
Andreas - I just came across your little vignette and must say it's one of the most thought-provoking models indeed. And so skillfully done. The model, figures, and base are exceptional. It captures a terrible time in history very well. Congrats on a superb project in all aspects.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Borsos

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 02:50:39 PM »
Thank you very much Gary!
Andreas
Barbusse.
Remarque.