Author Topic: Nieuport 16c Albert Ball Amodel 1/32 kit  (Read 4101 times)

Offline mgunns

Re: Nieuport 16c Albert Ball Amodel 1/32 kit
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2021, 12:10:41 PM »
Sometimes you just have to put it away for awhile and then come back to it.  That's what I did, a few times.  Eventually it will be done and you will have an excellent model.  I remember sanding a lot of the detail off the cylinders to get the engine to fit in the cowling.  No worries, you can't tell.  You are on the right path.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Monty

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2021, 01:33:43 AM »
Thank you, Rick, Giuseppe, Alexis, Mark and Kevin for checking in and the encouragement. As Mark says, this build needs careful and continuous checking, filing, filling and adjusting as you go... I don't think it's easy! On starting with the cockpit components I found they needed a lot of adjusting and plain hard work to fit vaguely... so no chance of painting separately and assembling later. I fitted everything first and glued it in place, trial fit, trial fit and fix... The fuel tank I chopped off and fitted as best i could... I hope I can add some rigging later... most of the interior is wood, so I may manage the painting... I'm pretty sure there was a screen or bulkhead behind the seat, there are some very good aerodynamic reasons why most aircraft had this, but photographic evidence is limited... the only surviving authentic Nieuport 23 airframe (the Belgian one) has a wooden bulkhead with a central fabric rectangular area laced in... Your opinion on this is welcomed! At least the cowling is looking better - 4 coats of paint later! The engine detail is quite nice...

Regards,

Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 01:44:03 AM »
A difficult build but you are handling it well. I am sure you will appreciate the final product even more due to your hard work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 05:20:38 AM »
That looks like a great Nieuport, Marc! I hope you won’t find more challenges with this kit. But like you build it, it’s obviously worth the work.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Bughunter

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 06:30:37 AM »
I can only agree with my colleagues!
With not so many Nieuport types available in 1/32 the modeler has to accept challenges but I'm sure this will be a nice model at the end.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline FAf

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2021, 07:16:50 AM »
Definitely moving in the right direction! Every step forward counts, even if they take a bit of time.
/Fredrik

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 11:49:09 PM »
If we didn't have challenges through out a build we don't pick up new skill sets , however you have sur-past this and will dazzle us with a beautiful Nieuport  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline mgunns

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2021, 07:56:08 AM »
Looking good and you following the right path to success with this kit.  Another "fun" area is the wing to fuselage.  It's basically a butt joint so for strength and flexibility I used brass tubing for the main spar and then pins for the aft portion.  Gives a nice solid wing join and you can adjust the dihedral prior to fixing the wing to fuselage.  It is a challenge but as mentioned builds into a really nice model.  With so little reference available, go ahead and put in the bullkhead, wood or canvas, behind the seat.
You managed to bend the perforated seat back without destroying it.  That's a real challenge overcome.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2021, 06:07:41 PM »
I think you're handling the challenges very well. Keep up the good work.