Author Topic: Lt. Friedrich Vollbracht's ZigZag Jasta 5?  (Read 1301 times)

Offline rfindley

Lt. Friedrich Vollbracht's ZigZag Jasta 5?
« on: November 23, 2020, 12:16:56 AM »
Any new information come to light as to Vollbracht's personal zigzag marking on his Fokker DVII?  I've never seen a photo but LifeLike says they have referenced a pic for their interpretation. 

I know their was an earlier thread but not a lot there as I remember.  Looking for best/latest info on what Friedrich's marking probably looked like.   Interestingly LifeLike states 4-color lozenge with blue tapes on upper wing and pink tapes on the lower.

Offline petrov27

Re: Lt. Friedrich Vollbracht's ZigZag Jasta 5?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 05:38:53 AM »
Im assuming their "ref. 7" is Windsock Vol 21 No 4? There are two photos of this a/c within that issue and a color profile on the back cover from which that 3D rendering you show matches/was based on apparently.

Unsure if there are new or other pics Lifelike referenced aside from that. The pics in the Windsock I am studying here I feel that Lifelike is likely more correct.
-the zig zag does not seem as large/tall as depicted in the WS color profile nor in the 3d rendering - the top points do not reach top longeron as the WS profile depicts.
-I do not see the last "zag" terminating at the lower longeron near the fuselage cross as depicted in the WS profile. You cannot see the zig-zag ending at the cross as in the LL decal as the lower wing blocks it, but you can tell that the zig zag does not continue aft of the fuse cross
-Patrick

Offline rfindley

Re: Lt. Friedrich Vollbracht's ZigZag Jasta 5?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 07:58:48 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I have not seen the WS issue or their profile but LifeLike's Reference 7 is indeed WS Vol21, No.4.  From what I know LifeLike are reasonably well researched so I'm feeling more comfortable with their interpretation.