Author Topic: Meet your Forum team  (Read 23686 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Meet your Forum team
« on: November 16, 2020, 08:37:18 AM »
As this is the board where members can introduce themselves, we thought it’s time we introduced your Forum team to our many new members.

For those who think the Forum is run by a large team, the reality is there are just three of us – Global Moderators Lance Carroll and Brad Cancian and Forum Administrator Dave Wilson.

Global Moderator Lance Carroll is in Alberta, Canada. Lance is a former Royal Canadian Air Force fighter pilot who’s been modelling since age 6 and has been building WW1 models for the past 25 years. He’s now retired to an 80 acre spread in Canada’s Great White North where he and his wife Barbara continue a long tradition of sharing their lives with a German Shepherd wonder dog. Lance was among the first members to join the Forum when it was launched in 2012.

Lance Carroll

Global Moderator Brad Cancian is an aerospace engineer in Canberra, Australia with a lifelong interest in aviation and more than 30 years as a modeller. As well as models he’s interested in military aviation history, collecting militaria, watches and watch making and 1980s nostalgia. Brad was among the earliest members to join the Forum in 2012. He and his wife Amanda share their lives with two American Staffordshire Terriers.

Brad Cancian

Forum Administrator Dave Wilson is a journalist and PR consultant on the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia and has been a modeller for the past 60 years or so. Dave was one of the first members to join the Forum when Des Delatorre created it in 2012 and has been actively involved in the Forum since day one. The Forum was passed to Dave after Des’ tragic death in 2018. Dave and his wife Sally share their home with a feisty Siamese cat.

Dave Wilson
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Vickers

Re: Meet your Forum team
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 09:18:15 AM »
Great to be able to put faces with the names, Dave. BTW, is your cat named "Bruno" as in "Stachel" by any chance?
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 08:07:57 PM »
Glad to see you all, gentlemen. I hope is not inappropriate to reciprocate attaching my actual image.
Thank you all for running the forum and for keeping the environment so friendly and well educated. All the best and stay safe.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 01:10:12 AM »
"feisty Siamese cat"
Yep, that made me laugh  ;D

Good to see you guys, and as always...THANK YOU!

Me, doing what I love most. Hiking in the Highlands of Scotland.
vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Vickers

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 09:00:59 AM »
@Bobs_buckles. Great photo! Still got Scotland on my bucket list. I saw a few miles of it on an unplanned layover at the airport in Glasgow, but that's nothing like renting a car and driving it all over the place like a red-blooded ugly American.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 11:56:04 AM »
Glad to see all of your faces.  This is my most recent...  that I know of.

There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 12:54:04 PM »
von B, Gaz,
   Great photos!
   Vickers, don't delay, I finally made the trip almost ten years ago, it was magnificent! We rented a car, drove about like "red blooded Canadians", and totally enjoyed our two weeks in the North, Skye, and many great places in between. So much history, wonderful folks, and the whisky and local brews weren't hard to suffer either! A wonderful visit I will fondly remember!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 07:01:12 PM »
@Bobs_buckles. Great photo! Still got Scotland on my bucket list. I saw a few miles of it on an unplanned layover at the airport in Glasgow, but that's nothing like renting a car and driving it all over the place like a red-blooded ugly American.

You must go, Vickers!
I have toured the Highlands 5 times on motorcycle and twice in the car. The car was nice, but you can't beat riding over the Applecross pass on a big thumping BMW twin.  ;D

The Whisky goes down the hatch like a ferret down a manhole. Smooooooooooooth as silk.  :o

My bucket list requires that I fly 12k miles to the land of the long white cloud. Do some touring (on motorcycle) in the South Island. Then turning North to visit friends in the North Island. Fingers crossed I get to fulfil my dreams.

vB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline macsporran

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 12:20:23 AM »
You must come Vickers!
But not during this awful Covid crisis.

I was up in the North West at Achiltibuie (Wester Ross - God's Country) two weeks ago and the passing places and beaches are full of motor homes and wild campers trying to escape the pandemic from the South. The small villages just can't cope and the sooner these people bugger off back to the Costa del Sol the better!

I live in Highland Perthshire, with our oldest distillery (Glen Turret) and several Munroes (big mountains) close by. Can't think of anywhere else I'd rather reside!

Great pictures guys. I'll need to get a photo of the portrait in the attic posted - so as not to frighten you with the real thing!
Sandy

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 01:27:45 AM »
Great idea Dave!  I had forgotten how long it's been, but I started here in April 2012 apparently.  Wow!  Anyway, here are a couple of recent shots including yours truly, the first at the Military Aviation Museum in Virgina Beach at their annual WWI air show (pre-covid), and the second with the family at the USAF Museum in Dayton, OH, last month (hint: I'm the guy in the sport coat--the freshly minted Major is my son-in-law, and behind us is the actual Jolly Green that his father flew in the 1980s, which somehow ended up being the example of this type restored for the museum).

Untitled by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

Untitled by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

You guys are like family, and it's wonderful to "see" you here.

Best regards,

Bob

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 02:35:01 AM »
Thank you to our esteemed moderators for introducing themselves and the short bio's - we appreciate the great job you do on the site! It is a very pleasant place to be... and great to meet the members too - something that I feel is important! So greetings from near the Southern Tip of Africa, even further south than Cape Town!

Regards,

Marc

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2020, 07:48:27 PM »
Great idea, Dave, to show your faces. Makes the forum more alive.
Greetings to the Team and the forum members!

And let me join the company with a photo from last August, when I had a chance to visit the 43 Naval Air Base in Gdynia - Babie Doły. The visit was the prize for winning the model contest commemorating the 100th anniversary of Polish Naval aviation with my Lublin R.XIIIG.
W-3WARM Anakonda helicopter cares for the backdrop.

Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline KrzysiekK

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 04:35:52 PM »
Hi
I remember profile member dossier implemented by Des few years ago, nevertheless I am few years old since that date and very tired man (see the photo) I wish I would have told you that working on WWI models was so exhausting at that case, but the true is I was caught by my wife after long, long bike cycling tour through wild forest and wanted just little privacy here.. ;D

regards
K

Offline drdave

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 06:56:29 PM »

Here I am
 I’m 52 and live in South Hampshire with my Wife and 3 teenage kids and 4 chickens. Not been so active modelling this year as I work in Intensive Care, so it’s been a bit busy!
I like gardening, history and cycling and skiing as well as modelling and I’m a member of IPMS Romsey,  which now has several Wingnutters.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 08:47:32 PM »
great to put faces to the stories. i might as well join in even though i have the perfect face for radio. easy to sort out the pic, i'm the ugly one.

i live in Thailand, not far from Bangkok, and have for a while. my main business is installing and maintaining equipment in data centers. i'm originally from the US: upstate NY, went to undergrad in NC (started in Materials Engineering at NC State, transferred to UNC-Chapel Hill to study Art when i realized i hated math. after that, lived in NYC for a long time and worked on movies for a bit (all grubby indie stuff, not many big time projects). then i moved to Thailand.

My Intended got back from Rossia just before COVID got rolling, and brought some stronk Rossian T-shirts. we're at a local seafood joint in the picture. it's post COVID, thus the mask, and out door dining, thus the shades. she's not a gangster or anything. i think. i hope.