Author Topic: Fokker DR.1 Engine/Magneto Access Panels  (Read 1185 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Fokker DR.1 Engine/Magneto Access Panels
« on: November 12, 2020, 08:32:10 AM »
    After several hours of searching references I'm no more knowledgeable on the subject. I know Jasta 6 had a Field modified rectangular design vs. the more common circular one but that seems the only solid statement on the topic. I have profiles in pretty solid reference pubs by numerous good artists that conflict, in one case three different configurations for the same aircraft! Specifically can anyone provide info on:
 - were they used on only certain batches of the aircraft? Photos seem to indicate that some didn't have them .......
 - were they always installed on both sides of the nose and, if so, did some have one of each shape?
 - Can anyone confirm which, if any, were installed on Manfred von Richthofen's 425/17? (As a further bonus, can anyone confirm the said configuration of Lothar's DR.1 454/17?)
   Any/all inputs appreciated, before this bout of AMS sends me running naked and screaming into the cold night of the Great White North!! 
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

Re: Fokker DR.1 Engine/Magneto Access Panels
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 10:08:43 AM »
Lance, The answer is they were Never a Factory applied Mod. Jasta 6 as you mentioned pretty regularly used Rectangular panels. Jasta 11 used round although in varying sizes . When Jasta 4 received DR1's any new aircraft got round panels but mounted higher than those in Jasta 11. So for your LvR build, round would be right if they were fitted. NOT ALL Jasta 11 carried these hatches and one must look as the size varied.
RAGIII

PS: The only photos I know of are of the "Crash". They do NOT show any of the areas that would reveal if access panels were fitted. Just to reitterate, Jasta 11 did NOT fit these panels to all aircraft. For instance MvR's 425/17 had No Panels! So add round ones to your build if you want, or don't add any! No one can prove you wrong  ::)
RAGIII
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 10:18:36 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 12:25:35 PM »
Rick,
   Wow! That's a very quick and definitive response and some very logical perspective. Where on earth did you glean all of that? I thought, from all of the photos available, 425/17 had none, and a lot of captions on the photos seemed to indicate these were 100% Field Modifications.
   Looks to me like 425/17 is destined for no panels and, if I put any on 454/17 they'll be circular. Thanks for the info, another puzzle of the pursuit of the absolute in this little hobby of ours!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 01:31:53 PM »
Rick,
   Wow! That's a very quick and definitive response and some very logical perspective. Where on earth did you glean all of that? I thought, from all of the photos available, 425/17 had none, and a lot of captions on the photos seemed to indicate these were 100% Field Modifications.
   Looks to me like 425/17 is destined for no panels and, if I put any on 454/17 they'll be circular. Thanks for the info, another puzzle of the pursuit of the absolute in this little hobby of ours!
Cheers,
Lance

Most of the info comes from Alex Imries Fokker DR1 book. He gives a pretty detailed analysis of the access hatches. As for 454/17 I just looked at what photos I could find. Glad I could be of assistance Lance. I Love how your build is looking!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 01:06:41 AM »
Since I'm doing 425 this thread is like gold to me too! Thank you, Rick and Lance! ATB, Marc