Author Topic: Will we see a Handley Page?  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Pup7309

Will we see a Handley Page?
« on: November 06, 2020, 11:19:08 AM »
Following on from the Hanriot thread...
Is it likely someone might pop this. I imagine it would be profitable for companies to pop out smaller planes - but will a HP or maybe even a Gotha get a re-run ( prob a Chinese company if thats were the moulds are?
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Will we see a Handley Page?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 12:06:50 PM »
The big question re a Handley Page O/400 and O/100 - assuming you mean 1/32 scale- is whether Sir Peter Jackson who owns the Wingnut moulds- licenses/ leases/ sells them to another player. Given the kits exist in almost-completed form I very much doubt any other manufacturer would dare invest in either subject now because the WnW projects would forever hang over any development.

Then there's a financial return or not. Wingnuts imploded with big kits and the O/100 and O/400 chew up a big budget and a lot of shelf space.

In 1/48th scale don't forget Copper State Models did a spectacular resin O/400 recently and Airfix's classic 1/72 kit can still be found.

Just my take here but I'm picking the WW1 manufacturers will be sticking with single and two seaters for a better return on investment.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia                                                                                                                                                                                                   
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline zavod44

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 01:11:29 PM »
At this point if someone just both the molds or had them and can start producing kits they would prob be in the black.  Seem that WNW went south with too much R&D, but if all that is already done then maybe there's meat on the bone for someone to make money.  Personally I don't think you will ever see them. 

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 01:21:38 PM »
Such a shame they put so much into R&D only to fall short. I thought the Gotha was an interesting 10th anniversary release but in retrospect the Handley Pages would have been a better pick - they were a far more impactful aircraft on the war. The folding wings option was nice too. Anyways ‘it is what it was’

Online Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 06:02:37 PM »

Posted by: Pup7309
« on: Today at 01:21:38 PM »Insert Quote
Such a shame they put so much into R&D only to fall short. I thought the Gotha was an interesting 10th anniversary release but in retrospect the Handley Pages would have been a better pick - they were a far more impactful aircraft on the war. The folding wings option was nice too. Anyways ‘it is what it was’

I agree with Pup. But there is always hope....

On the Large Scale Planes forum, Mike Swinburne has published a fantastic build log of the only O/100 kit that was sold.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/84725-wingnut-wings-handley-page-o100/

He has posted lots of beautiful pictures of the build.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 06:32:12 PM »
IIRC Mike's 0/100 wasn't 'sold'. It was a pre-production sample sent to him to build for promotional purposes. The 0/100 didn't reach production stage.
I believe there was only one such pre-production 'kit' of the 0/100 and I think, from memory that Dave Johnson has one of only two such samples of the 0/400.
Sandy
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 06:43:52 PM by macsporran »

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 06:38:08 PM »
Thanks for the link - truly phenomenal build
The tail rigging looks a challenge!

Online Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 06:43:59 PM »
Posted by: macsporran
« on: Today at 06:32:12 PM »Insert Quote
IIRC Mike's 0/100 wasn't 'sold'. It was a pre-production sample sent to him to build for promotional purposes. The 0/100 didn't reach production stage.
I believe there were two such pre-production 'kits' of the 0/100 and I think, from memory that Dave Johnson has the only one of the 0/400.
Sandy

I stand corrected Sandy ;D

Willem

Offline macsporran

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 06:48:26 PM »
No problem Willem - we can all hope that all these kits see the light of day at some stage.😃 S

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 04:49:16 AM »
At this point if someone just both the molds or had them and can start producing kits they would prob be in the black.  Seem that WNW went south with too much R&D, but if all that is already done then maybe there's meat on the bone for someone to make money.  Personally I don't think you will ever see them.

You make a good point.  The total production cost of a project like this has already been eaten by WNW.

The cost structure of purchasing the molds is entirely different to making the kit from scratch, and could be much more easily made to be profitable.

This is basically free money for Peter Jackson if a player comes along eager to pursue the project.  It's just a question of how much free money.  I have always found that every little bit helps!  LOL. 

(Assuming the WNW Handley Page is ready to go or very nearly ready to go).