Author Topic: What paint duplicates the tan camouflage color on CSM's Early Nieuport 17 kit  (Read 958 times)

Offline James Reagan

I have access to Tamiya, Vallejo and AK Interactive paints.  What color best duplicates the tan khaki color on the top wing of Copper State Models Early Nieuport 17 kit?  If a mix I'd appreciate your suggestions. I also want to use it on two 1/32 scale  Special Hobby Nieuport 16 models.  I see Vallejo has a number of variation of Khaki colors.

Thanks for your  suggestions for the Von Richtofen red Fokker DR1.  I like the suggestions about a dark almost blood red color. I just received two of the Meng DR1 kits.

I see suggestions about a primer coat when using acrylic paints and have a couple of Tamiya white primer which I assume will be suitable.

Offline xan

For this result , I used
for Brown: gunze H406
for green: gunze H340 Field green and gunze H75 darks sea grey   50/50

Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline gcn

Very nice looking model Xan.

Now you have the Gunze paints you can look for a gunze / tamiya conversation chart, If you are wedded to tamiya. 

Tamiya paints don’t need a primer, but Vallejo do. My preference is to prime Whatever and my go to primer is gunze mr finishing 1500 in black thinned with their levelling thinner, which imo is also the best thinner for tamiya paints.

Also check Prez’s build on here and see if he mentions what colours he used for his recent build. 

Offline James Reagan

Secial Hobby's 1/32 Lafayette Escadrille color chart kind of threw me off.  The subsequent information I've obtained kind of indicate acouple of Tamiya acrylic green colors are close match especiallycompared with pictures of the early Nieuport 17 kit.

Interestingly the color reference in the Amodel   Nieuport 16 ckitseem to agree with a Tamiya green paint color.  I also have the Amodel Nieuport model for Albert Ball's aircraft  and like their color suggestions. Ifeel combining thebest of both Amodel and Special Hobby kits offer a chance for an accurate model.  Shame an aftermarket Le rhone 9c engin kit is not available. I'm going to pluck my Lerhone engine from my WNW RAF Pup kit and replace it with an aftermarket Gnome Monosopape engine  kit.