Author Topic: Trying to get back in to the hobby  (Read 1241 times)

Offline DeLano80

Trying to get back in to the hobby
« on: October 28, 2020, 01:41:21 AM »
Yep. After 18 years, I'd like to get back into the hobby. My last build i did was finished right before my first daughter was born 18 years ago!
It will cost me a small fortune to get my supplies built up, including paint.
Looks like I missed the Wingnut boat. I'd love to do an Albatros but my God, they are so expensive. Does anyone know of a retailer that has them that doesn't cost 2 or 3 times retail?
Anyhow, this site and everyone on it are very inspirational.
Cheers!

Offline Radarman

Re: Trying to get back in to the hobby
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 01:59:06 AM »
DeLano80,
Welcome back. The modeling world is a very different place now when compared to the recent past.
I'm afraid you'll have to rely luck or just wait for a re-pop of a Wingnuts Albatros. You could cut your teeth
on a Roden Albatros D.III, which is a nice kit. Good luck in your quest.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Online gcn

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 02:05:50 AM »
I too was in the same boat returning in June after a six year absence. I did get to enjoy WNW up till then.

There has been some stock available at reasonable prices from model shops, but that is all pretty much depleted.

I was lucky a couple of weeks ago that availability for an Albatros came up on HLJ.

I'd say the Roden suite of Albaros's is your best bet now unless you get lucky on the horses.

Offline DeLano80

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 02:36:30 AM »
I will keep my eyes peeled.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 09:45:28 AM »
Hi DeLano80

Keep a regular watch on the Wingnut Wings website. It is still there but inactive. There are indications they may reopen their online sales webstore to sell off the NZ warehouse stock.

I'm told they may be waiting for postal delivery services to get back up to speed before opening the doors, knowing there will be a buying frenzy.

If WnW reopen their web store, prices are likely to be at pre-closure levels.

A daily check is recommended.,

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline DeLano80

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 10:37:47 AM »
Thanks all. I hope to get one or two and build them.