Author Topic: Tool help  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Ant

Tool help
« on: October 24, 2020, 06:41:40 PM »
Ive been racking my brain and searching for the tool that is used to dab little blobs of glue..
What is it called and where in the uk can i buy one from ?

Offline gcn

Re: Tool help
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 07:21:52 PM »

Online macsporran

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 09:21:47 PM »
Flex-i-file glue applicator?

(or..... Toothpick?)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 11:53:51 PM »
   I'm a diehard toothpick fan, never found a better applicator for other then super thin CA where the old modified sewing needle is the weapon of choice.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 02:02:57 AM »
For liquid glues I use the Touch and Flow as Marc has posted and for super glues I go the modified sewing needle . What is handy with the sewing needles is the different sizes of eyelets . With just the tip cut off different sizes of a u- shape gives better control on the amount of glue need .

Terri

PS , check out Hannant's  https://www.hannants.co.uk/ . For Tools and other items to help get you going . They are in the UK .
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 04:59:16 AM »
   I'm a diehard toothpick fan, never found a better applicator for other then super thin CA where the old modified sewing needle is the weapon of choice.
Cheers,
Lance

Funny Lance, I was thinking of posting a photo of a toothpick but you beat Me to the idea  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online macsporran

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 06:19:50 AM »
I think you'll find I beat you both to the Toothpick suggestion.😃
Marc

(Marc??? who he, Terri?)
Sandy

Offline maddog

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 07:34:48 AM »
Ant, the Glue Looper works really well and is available in varying sizes to suit differing viscosities.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 08:02:42 AM »
I think you'll find I beat you both to the Toothpick suggestion.😃
Marc

(Marc??? who he, Terri?)
Sandy

Sorry Sandy , was thinking of someone else at the time of typing  ::)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online macsporran

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 08:42:26 AM »
No problem, Terri, serves me right for no name!
S

Offline Ant

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 01:59:35 AM »
Thanks everybody....
Toothpick it is to start with....

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 09:03:57 AM »
A piece of stretched sprue is also useful as a glue applicator.. it can also be sharpened at the end for super glue. Just heat some sprue and stretch it, but keep the thicker shaft as a handle. Toothpicks and sewing needles are my other glue applicators of choice.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 03:39:03 AM »
Toothpicks and stretched sprue are by far the cheapest and easiest gluing tools available.

I heard about disposable eye liner brushes.  You can get them on Amazon, 100 for six or seven USD.  I just got some in but haven't tried them yet.  I assume they're best used for the thin cements and epoxy, but might work for CA as well.  Albeit, maybe only once.

I do like one particular glue looper.  It's very long and tapers from the shank end all the way to the tip in a slight arc.  The tip itself is open ended, but it's not the Glue Looper 4.  The name escapes me now.

I also have two dowels with needles pushed in them, pointy bit first.  I then cut the very tip of the eye end off with my dremel, leaving pretty much the same as the looper.  Very cheap, easily replaceable, and a bunch of different sizes to suit your needs.  There's many variations on this, go to youtube and search 'CA glue applicator'.

Stuart