Author Topic: Moving  (Read 2869 times)

Offline Gisbod

Moving
« on: October 23, 2020, 03:42:07 AM »
Hello all,

Just thought I’d post to say I’m in the process of moving house. You forget how stressful it all is! The house is lovely though - Victorian (1871) but it’s been gutted and basically rebuilt about 10 years ago.  But it has meant I had to shut down the bench post Meng Triplane. It’s now all packed up and our move date is (hopefully - lockdown/ chain dependent) the 6th November. I can’t see it opening up again anytime in the near future either. I’m already missing my modelling time more than I can say and I can’t wait to get back!

Realistically I’m never going to display my models in the house; Everything goes in a box or the bin after I’m done but I have always wanted a cabinet (like Frank’s). I’m retiring next spring and I have this notion of such a cabinet in the garage (workshop) and gradually fill it from scratch. I thought originally I’d do 1/72, 1/32 being just too big to display. But I’m kind of leaning towards 1/48 now as it’s a halfway house. I just like the idea of a cohesive collection to gaze at over a cup of tea...

No real point to this post... just thinking aloud!  ;D

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Bughunter

Re: Moving
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 03:59:06 AM »
Guy, Thank you for mention my cabinet!

Everything goes in a box or the bin after I’m done
I would not be able to put such effort in my models to put in a bin afterwards. I also discussed the topic with my wife and she told me that she would then have no understanding for my hobby.
Due to the display of the finished model it also very motivating to do the best what you are able to, because you as the builder will always see the mistakes first and be eternally reminded of them. ???
And yes, for me the size of the finished models are the reason to stick at 1/48.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 04:59:55 AM »
Thanks Frank,

You make some very good points! I guess my effort level does sometimes tail off a little towards the end of a build. I can see how having it looking back at you for years to come is a great incentive to make it as good as it can possibly be.

Do your models stay relatively dust free in a cabinet?

Guy

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 05:03:33 AM »
Ps

Best 1/48 WW1 kits? I have already done the lovely Eduard SE5a, but I really haven’t had much experience of this scale Great War wise...

Guy

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 05:52:13 AM »
Do your models stay relatively dust free in a cabinet?
The front are two glass doors and have a circumferential seal. The only remaining opening is (a very small) gap between both doors, otherwise there is no entry for dust and the models stay clean.

The only problem is my yearly exhibition in Fürstenfeldbruck near Munich in a huge loft with a complete wooden structure. That together with all the visitors creates a huge amount of dust, so I have to clean my models before put the back to the cabinet.

I like all the Eduard models, even if not all are on the level of the SE.5a. All the Nieuports, Fokker D.VII(OAW, Albatros and Fokker built), E.II/III, E.V, Roland C.II, OEFFAG, Albatros in many variants, Pfalz D.III, SPAD, Morane-Saulnier, Bristol Fighter, Hanriot, Sopwith, Siemens-Schuckert, DH.2 (even as Stripdown) ... Some kits have seen many releases with different markings and there are variants like floats or skies. Some are rare.
They made a lot of nice kits and I have more un-built kits then built ones.
You will find here a lot of examples in the forum. The Scalemates kit database is also great, because you see the relationships between kits and all the different releases. It shows also, that some of the Eduiard WWI line was re-released by Revell (with different decals and manual).

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 04:17:48 PM »
Thanks Frank,

Did you seal the doors or did they come like that? I just know how dusty everything gets around my workbench!

Yes, I suspected Eduard would be the obvious choice! There’s a lovely triple boxing of Udet’s Alby, Tripe and D.VII currently available... but I probably ought to wait until I’m back up and running!

I’d love to come and see your models one day Frank, perhaps a trip to the Fürstenfeldbruck show will feature in my retirement plans!

Guy

Bughunter

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 07:30:52 PM »
Guy, a visit would be great! It happens normally end of February/beginning of March. This year is happens shortly before the Corona trouble starts, but I fear it will be cancelled for the early 2021. Let's see.
That is a part of the upper floor, no visitors yet:

We could the also arrange a visit of my bench and the rest of my models ;)

The cabinet comes already with doors sealed, I will try to make a picture later.

And if you want to switch to 1/48 (there seems to be a increasing interest in doing that since WNW runs into trouble) you should also not miss the nice short run series made by Special Hobby! I like those kits and build already some of them.
See the nice filter mechanism era "World War I"
https://www.cmkkits.com/en/aircraft/index.php?fSort=3&fSeries=0&fScale=16&fNationality=0&fEra=25&fMaker=0

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 09:47:59 PM »
I’ll definitely pop that in my diary Frank!  :D

Looks like a nice, friendly venue.

Thanks for the link, I have previously eyed their 1/32 Fokker D.II, the 1/48th version will be high on my list.

Guy

Offline IanB

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 03:56:02 AM »
Get yourself a small cabinet. I often spend a few minutes looking at my models and "admiring" my handiwork - more accurately, finding the faults and seeing how I can improve, I find it very relaxing! I get just as much pleasure from looking at the end result as I did from building it!

Ian
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 04:05:49 AM by IanB »

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 05:22:57 AM »
That’s lovely Ian! I’m envious.

Are they 1/48th?

Guy

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 05:49:00 AM »
Are the 1/48th Dragon WW1 kits any good?

Just seen some on the net. I didn’t know Dragon had covered WW1.

Guy

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 06:17:00 AM »
I have two identical display cabinets with glass doors, they are not sealed but I put a plastic shower seal down one door which keeps the dust out completely. My collection has been in them for at least 4 years and occasionally a model gets taken out, but I have never had to dust any of them. I will try to take a photo of one of the cabinets but the light in the room is very poor. The cabinets were ordered via the net and came flat packed, but were straightforward to assemble. My collection is in God's Own Scale but they would hold 1/48 scale models too.

Stephen.   

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 06:23:52 AM »
Thanks Stephen,

That’s helpful, yes, I’d love to see some pictures! On the seal, you mean one of those rubbery lengths that fit onto the door edge?

Guy

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 06:39:31 AM »
Yes. They have a slot which can be pushed on to one of the doors, and a flap which can sit over the front of the second door which keeps the dust out.

I have to go away tomorrow for a few days: I will post a photo or photos when I get back - watch this space or display cabinets. Perhaps I should put photos in both places.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 04:30:24 AM »
Did you seal the doors or did they come like that?
Guy, I promised some pictures.

On a side there is a small grey seal below the glass:

Here it is better visible, with the right door open:

Discreet, but effective.

Cheers,
Frank