Author Topic: Fokker Dr.I interior  (Read 1435 times)

Offline jknaus

Fokker Dr.I interior
« on: October 21, 2020, 08:36:05 AM »
Hi everyone. Meng calls for the frame work to be black. I have been looking all over for pictures or clues to what colour is proper. If it is black does anyone know why? Almost every other WWI aircraft I have seen modeled that has metal frame work it is painted the light greyish green. I'm making a couple of kits for my Grand Children for their ceiling and so I know its not really important, but when I build mine I would very much like to know what is proper. Thanks in advance.
James

Offline oldalbie

Re: Fokker Dr.I interior
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 09:54:09 AM »
The metalwork (frame) was painted light gray-green, I've always used RLM 02 which looks to be a close match.  Definitely not black.

Offline rsanz

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 10:01:20 AM »
The metalwork (frame) was painted light gray-green, I've always used RLM 02 which looks to be a close match.  Definitely not black.

Interestingly this statement is definitely wrong. Fokker Dr.I interior framework definitely was black, until around airframe 500/17 when they started painting them light grey/green.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 11:25:32 AM »

Interestingly this statement is definitely wrong. Fokker Dr.I interior framework definitely was black, until around airframe 500/17 when they started painting them light grey/green.

This "black framework" statement has been proven definitively? I know some were theorizing the framework was black but was not sure it really had been proven to be so....
-Patrick

Offline jknaus

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 12:13:49 AM »

Thanks. I was also going to use RLM 02. I dont really get why they would change the colour though from all the other airframes in service. Anyways I'll do the RLM route.
James

Offline Mossie

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 04:29:54 PM »

An interesting statement, what photographic or documentary proof do you have?
Gerry "Mossie" Mos

Mossie3DCAD
"Prompt & Precise"

https://www.facebook.com/gerry.mos.9

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 11:08:18 PM »
The footstep from MvR's 425/17 survives at the Australian War Memorial and is black- seems reasonable to suggest the rest of the tubular airframe was finished the same but it doesn't prove it.

The control stick similarly survives and is also black.

Offline rsanz

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 11:22:11 AM »

Photographic evidence of cockpit/interior etc.

Black fuselage framework (same black/dark colour as per the MG mounts etc = NOT light grey/green)...
115/17
144/17
415/17
425/17

Light grey/green fuselage framework (NOT black as per the MG mounts)...
503/17
512/17
574/17
581/17
591/17

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 03:00:16 PM »
The team at Wingnuts did extensive research on the Dr.1 projects and they concluded the interior framework was black up to the numbers indicated by RSANZ. That's good enough for me.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Mossie

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 05:32:17 PM »
Always good practice to state the sources of any statements, as it makes it clear it is a considered view and not just an opinion.
Thanks for the clarity.
Gerry "Mossie" Mos

Mossie3DCAD
"Prompt & Precise"

https://www.facebook.com/gerry.mos.9

Offline ermeio

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 08:37:25 PM »

Photographic evidence of cockpit/interior etc.

Black fuselage framework (same black/dark colour as per the MG mounts etc = NOT light grey/green)...
115/17
144/17
415/17
425/17

Light grey/green fuselage framework (NOT black as per the MG mounts)...
503/17
512/17
574/17
581/17
591/17

Thanks for this great piece of information
aircraft colors are always something open to debate, especially for interior and for periods when only b/w photos were diffusely used.
The explanation of the sources and evidences as happened in this case is very welcome.
outstanding work in just a few lines