Author Topic: Eduard 1/48 Camel query  (Read 896 times)

Offline Nigel Jackson

Eduard 1/48 Camel query
« on: December 11, 2012, 02:47:02 AM »
Hello All

Before plunging into the hopefully soothing waters of an actual Wingnut Wings build, I have a couple of other projects to finish, the first of which is an Eduard 1/48 Sopwith F.1 Camel. Never one of my favourite aircraft, I was forced to admit that somewhere between the Brisfit, the SE5a and the DH2, there was a Camel-sized gap in the display cabinet. If not quite through clenched teeth, I've started work on it. The cockpit and engine are not far off  but I've heard horror stories about the struts and attaching the upper wing. Can anybody advise me on any remedial action that might be necessary before I proceed. Or does it go smooth as anything?

Best wishes
Nigel

(PS I hope this is the right thread. My apologies if it isn't or if this subject has been aired here before; I've looked but failed to find anything.] 

Offline NP

Re: Eduard 1/48 Camel query
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 03:42:55 AM »
Not the easiest but mine went ok, I'd advise making and using a jig (for what its worth, this is what I did)

- I believe the issue was something about the instructions showing the cabane strutts insertion reversed from what it should be - rear one shown as being the forward ones and vice versa - (?) so do a careful test fit.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:53:18 AM by NP »

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 05:12:17 AM »
Thanks for the advice NP, I had heard it was to do with the cabane struts, without really knowing the nature of the problem or the solution. Great photos of a flamboyant Camel in the jig too - it'll make my boring old PC10 mix look, well ...... em ...... boring!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 04:22:07 PM »
test fitting is imperative with this kit. when i built my first one i was very frustrated with the finished product which looked overall sloppy to me. i had to kinda make it work. when i built the second one i took more time to carefull dry fit everythind and did some trimming/sanding here and there. the result was very nice. so its just a matter of taking it slow and carefully adjucting for the kit dimensional errors.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 07:44:19 PM »
Thanks Albatros and Red Baron for the advice.

Having made and really enjoyed various Eduard models before I have to admit some frustration with their Camel. Perhaps it has just been me but it's required much more trimming/sanding/adjusting than I'd expected.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 05:24:39 AM »
Hello All

More Eduard ProfiPACK Camel queries I'm afraid.

I'm busy building the Wonca Bonka and construction has been held up by an aileron query: something is seriously under nourished. It's a bit difficult to explain but if I place the leading edge of the ailerons into the cut out with what I would have thought to be a reasonably realistic gap between wing and aileron, the trailing edge of the wing extends much farther back than that of the aileron. If I line the trailing edge of the aileron with that of the wing then there is a ridiculous gap between the two in the cut-out.

Can anyone pinpoint the error and the best remedial action?

Best wishes
Nigel