Author Topic: What red paint or mixture best replicates Von Richtofen's all red DR1?  (Read 2810 times)

Offline James Reagan

I know this question is up for debate but what appears to be the school solution? I'd like to shoot for an acrylic paint.

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
Re: What red paint or mixture best replicates Von Richtofen's all red DR1?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 02:27:34 PM »
I would suggest Mr. Paint MRP-250. It is called Richtofens red, should be all you need.
I have actuslly used this color on a Albatros D.Va Jasta 18, a Raben plane. It is a almost red, has a tint of salmon or pink in it and when looking around on the net it really looks the part.

https://mrpaint.sk/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=rich&product_id=331

Offline kkarlsen

• 'Old modeller' - Trying to catch up!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 03:42:43 PM »
I used Vallejo's Cavalry brown for my interpretation of one of MVR's kites...

Kent

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 04:47:11 AM »
I don't really think there is a "Magic" answer. The Red paint was scrounged from Non Military sources and IMHO it probably varied from aircraft to aircraft. The samples used as the "Gospel" are Old and probably darkened by carbon and castor oil, let alone AGE! That being said the "Most" common opinion is Vermillion. IMHO use what you like  8) This was My take on the color using Valejo red mixed with Valejo Deep Red.
RAGIII

"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 08:07:46 PM »
Yup, Rick, I agree! Any shade as long as it's red... I never argue with any modeler's interpretation... Just enjoy the build and the completed model, and don't agonize over it too much! Regards, Marc.

Offline James Reagan

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 02:56:41 AM »
As I continue to research I'm thinking a mix of Tamiya Red and Hull Red might do the trick.    I'm still awaiting the Meng kit that was shipped to me from Texas in September.  The post office says "arriving late but on the way" Finally got my printer back on line so I've  been copying some kit color charts from Wingnut instructions as I'm trying to stick with Tamiya and AK international paints.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 05:25:35 AM »
James,
   I keep a notebook of "Colour Notes" and under "von Richthofen Red" I have a note (but unfortunately no source or reference) to use a mix of 5 parts Tamiya X-7 Red to 1 part Tamiya XF-9 Hull Red. The latter looks more like a brown so I believe the result would look a lot like Kents 477/17 below which i think is a likely shade. I wish I could remember the source but it must have been reasonable as I have a bottle of the hull Red here and have been wondering what I bought it for?! :o Aging is such fun!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 07:33:20 AM »
If one googles richthofen fabric there are quite a few images of bits of his Fokker

Cheers
Andrew

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 12:50:41 PM »
James,
   I keep a notebook of "Colour Notes" and under "von Richthofen Red" I have a note (but unfortunately no source or reference) to use a mix of 5 parts Tamiya X-7 Red to 1 part Tamiya XF-9 Hull Red. The latter looks more like a brown so I believe the result would look a lot like Kents 477/17 below which i think is a likely shade. I wish I could remember the source but it must have been reasonable as I have a bottle of the hull Red here and have been wondering what I bought it for?! :o Aging is such fun!
Cheers,
Lance
the source is the WNW Richthofen Albatros' instruction book, or at least that's the formula they gave.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 10:00:19 PM »
Lance ,

Now that is a good idea on keeping a note book for paint mixes , going to have to borrow that  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 10:46:34 PM »
Terri,
   Not that my memory isn't what it used to be ........   :o The real trick is remembering where I last put the book!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 05:58:22 AM »
Hey Lance  , you mean there is a trick to it ! Oooh boy that's not good for me  :o

Do we have a data base here on paint mixes ? Maybe this is something we should have so members have a place to cross refs
on what will suit their need for their project ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 02:46:44 AM »
Drooling Bulldog makes a very nice red. I forget the German name. Depending upon the amount of thinner used, it'll make any number of shades.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 06:44:01 AM »
Drooling Bulldog makes a very nice red. I forget the German name. Depending upon the amount of thinner used, it'll make any number of shades.

It was called Kraplac or Kraplak, I don't remember the spelling for sure  :o
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 11:27:04 AM »
Hey Lance  , you mean there is a trick to it ! Oooh boy that's not good for me  :o

Do we have a data base here on paint mixes ? Maybe this is something we should have so members have a place to cross refs
on what will suit their need for their project ?

Terri

I think this is a great idea Terri, it would be very useful. I also believe you are perfect for the job of getting it started, simple as a new thread on Markings and camouflage perhaps??
Cheers,
Lance