Author Topic: Deperdussin Monocoque 1912, AJP Maquettes, 1/48  (Read 2821 times)

Bughunter

Deperdussin Monocoque 1912, AJP Maquettes, 1/48
« on: October 12, 2020, 03:45:06 AM »
Deperdussin Monocoque 1912  

Very early this year I started a project without any plastic - a multimedia kit with many PE parts made by the french company AJP Maquettes in 1/48: Deperdussin Monocoque
Other projects have interrupted this build, but now the aircraft is complete.

This was a very successful racing aircraft 1912 and 1913. A nice article about the original:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deperdussin_Monocoque

I first wanted to show the hull wrapped from thin wood. The hull of the kit is also made from wood, but the grain was too coarse. So I changed my mind and modeled the existing machine in the Paris Air and Space Museum.

Source: wikimedia.org

I scratched a lot of parts, made a complete new cowling with help of some parts turned on lathe. The wings and tail planes are thickened with wooden strips and covered with paper. This model is equipped with a 14-cylinder rotary engine Gnome Lambda-Lambda made by Small Stuff and turnbuckles by Gaspatch models. The air screw and steering wheel are again real wood.

There are no decals in the kit, so I cut masks with my electronic cutter and airbrushed the markings. Here mainly Gunze paints are used, and Alclad primer and metal paints. The wooden parts in the cockpit are painted with acrylics.

For more information you are invited to browse through the build log, if not done already:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10851

I really like the model - the shadows through the translucent wings and the new engine cowling are my highlights! Really pity that many of the AJP models are to big for my wall cabinet!

This racer looks very elegant and fast, much more modern than all the biplanes that appeared years later!

And now enjoy the pictures:

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Deperdussin Monocoque 1912, AJP Maquettes, 1/48
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 04:25:57 AM »
Another one of your beautiful builds and a completely different subject too boot !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Radarman

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 04:30:58 AM »
Frank,
Thanks for contributing to my knowledge of this aircraft and your construction techniques.
Simply magnificent!
                                    Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 05:15:09 AM »
That is stunning Frank. The translucent wings and tail are real highlights for me too - so difficult to achieve with paint, you have done it the proper way! As usual your tiny self -made extra detaisls take this model from being good to being show/museum standard.

Stephen

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 05:47:13 AM »
A real thing of beauty Frank, Bravo!
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 07:07:20 AM »
Frank, Honestly when you started this build I wasn't too thrilled with the aircraft. What you did to the Model totally changed My Mind! Beautiful work in all aspects as Usual! I Love it!!!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline mgunns

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 11:00:07 AM »
A unique airplane and an outstanding build.  Very eyecatching and interesting model and bit of history.  The transluscent effect is really nice.  All in all an outstanding build.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 10:26:28 PM »
Very cool model, Frank.  As stated already, the translucient wing and tail surfaces are a highlight of this model.  Great pictures.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 06:01:36 PM »
A real masterpiece, awesome!

Offline FAf

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 10:14:18 PM »
As stated - a brilliant result and very pretty to look at! Apart from the end result, it has been a fantastic journey following your contruction process. Very inspiring and enlightening!

/Fredrik

Bughunter

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 04:55:35 AM »
Thank you very much Terri, Kevin, Stephen, Lance, Rick, Mark, Ken and Fredrik! Your very nice comments are highly appreciated!

I managed again to convert a somehow easy kit with not so many parts into a big effort scratch affair ???
But it was worth it and gives the first aircraft ever to reach 200,8km/h (200km in 59min45sec) a place of honour in my showcase.

Regarding modeling it was a somehow successful year 2020 until now, since this is the seventh finished model this year. Our hobby is somehow Corona-compatible: if we work on our bench we could no infect someone else or get infected.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Old Man

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 01:42:45 PM »
Thjis is a wonderful model, Sir.

It was a treat to watch it come together.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 03:46:41 AM »
Top class model and no mistake! Like a real thing.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 06:10:48 AM »
Such a unique subject and a grand looking finish to your project - congratulations Frank!
Cheers,
Gary

Bughunter

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 05:41:55 AM »
Thank you for watching the build report and your comments! Highly appreciated!

A AJP model need some care, but seems to be a good base to create a interesting and not often seen models.
After my Demoiselle this was the second one. The Bleriot in Channel crossing version, Morane-Saulnier H and Curtiss "Golden Flyer" will follow one day ;)

Cheers,
Frank