Author Topic: Hello from Michigan  (Read 1885 times)

Offline JohnM

Hello from Michigan
« on: September 26, 2020, 02:23:12 AM »
Hello all from Michigan USA,

I'm glad to have found this forum! I am primarily an armor builder and enjoy building WWI tanks and figures. I have not built any WWI aircraft and in all honesty, I don't really get that excited about aircraft in general.

I have increasingly been interested in WWI aircraft and the only reason I have not built anything is due to the level of fine motor skills required. I have an essential tremor and my primary concern has been a fear that the rigging would be too fiddly.

I always said I'd buy some WnW kits but never got around to doing it and when I heard they were no longer producing, it bummed me out to the point that I decided I needed to take action. I was able to order 3 WnW kits from AndysHHQ without a markup. I also ordered the Meng Dr.I.  I then saw a sale on Special Hobby kits on Luckymodel.com.

I might have gotten a little carried away. In short order I have several kits on the way. I have only received the Meng Dr.I. The question now is where do I start? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

WnW         Salmson 2-A2 'USAS'
WnW         Sopwith 7F.1 Snipe "William Barker"
WnW         Sopwith F.1 Camel "USAS"
Meng         Dr.I    
SH32017   Morane Saulnier Type N RFC Service
SH32057   Bristol M.1C"Wartime Colours"
SH48026   Pfalz D.XII Early Version
SH48027   Phonix D.I K.u.K. Luftfahrttruppe
SH32006   Morane Saulnier Typ N

John

Offline Radarman

Re: Hello from Michigan
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 05:54:57 AM »
John,
Welcome to the forum. There is a vast amount of information and skill to be shared around here.
Of your list, I'd say the Ming DR.I would be the most strait forward build. What ever you decide upon
will be great to see.

Happy Modeling,
                                                                                                   Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 07:10:21 AM »
You have come to the right place to get a solid start in WW1 Aircraft modelling John. Friendly advice, lots of support, and no end of knowledge are here for the asking! I agree with Kevin, the Meng DR.1 is a great first subject. A great Kit, minimum of rigging, and lots of After Market stuff available if you wish to go that far. Good luck with your first effort and I look forward to following your progress.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 09:48:28 PM »
Hi John and welcome to the site ! :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 01:24:06 AM »
Welcome to the forum, John.
You have come to the right place.

Enjoy!

von B  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 05:02:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum, John.  You're in good company!  If you have only one kit in your hands, that is the best place to start.  My Meng Dr.I arrived yesterday.

Gaz...  Former Michigander now in Australia.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 06:50:40 PM »
Welcome - I’m sure you’ll get lots of encouragement and inspiration. After the dr 1 the type n’s are nice little kits. I think number 2 for me when I rejoined this hobby after decades away... also check out Des’s website for nice introductory models as well (in fact check out Des’s site more generally for loads of great info and build logs). Des established this site and was an inspiration for many of us. Cheers Matt

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 10:27:31 PM »
Welcome to the Forum John. This is a very friendly place filled with enthusiastic and helpful modellers who are happy to help one another.,

You have a good selection of WW1 kits to launch your journey into the wonderful world of classic aircraft, and I would echo the others in recommending you start with something that has little to no rigging. The Meng Fokker Dr.1 is a great candidate, so too is the Wingnuts Junkers D.1 monoplane if you find one.

The Special Hobby Bristol M.1c is a fun build, as is their Morane Saulnier N.

Feel free to ask any questions or seek info on colour schemes or techniques. The most helpful WW1 modellers in the world are all here!

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline JohnM

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 10:25:21 PM »
Thank you all for the kind welcome. I'm finishing up a kit right now and based on the recommendations I will start with the Meng Dr.1. Of course, it will be red!

I opened up the kit and found a part to be broken. After reading a little on the kit, it seems to be fairly common.  Hopefully, no wing warping.

Thanks!

Offline JohnM

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 10:31:54 PM »
Welcome to the Forum John. This is a very friendly place filled with enthusiastic and helpful modellers who are happy to help one another.,

You have a good selection of WW1 kits to launch your journey into the wonderful world of classic aircraft, and I would echo the others in recommending you start with something that has little to no rigging. The Meng Fokker Dr.1 is a great candidate, so too is the Wingnuts Junkers D.1 monoplane if you find one.

The Special Hobby Bristol M.1c is a fun build, as is their Morane Saulnier N.

Feel free to ask any questions or seek info on colour schemes or techniques. The most helpful WW1 modellers in the world are all here!

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Dave,

Although I have no reason other than the box art, I have to say I was drawn to the Bristol and contemplated starting there.

BTW the only reason I found this forum was due to your review of the Meng kit.  Thank you!

Offline JohnM

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 10:44:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum, John.  You're in good company!  If you have only one kit in your hands, that is the best place to start.  My Meng Dr.I arrived yesterday.

Thanks Gaz! Michigan to Australia that is quite the change. What part of Michigan were you from?  There are a few places that I would like to visit and haven't been able to. I travel a lot for work--not lately-- and it seems I never get put on the Australian stuff.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 06:02:00 PM »

Thanks Gaz! Michigan to Australia that is quite the change. What part of Michigan were you from?  There are a few places that I would like to visit and haven't been able to. I travel a lot for work--not lately-- and it seems I never get put on the Australian stuff.

HI John,
   Lived in a few places in Michigan rural and urban.  When I left, I had been living in Traverse City.  I don't miss shoveling snow.  Hopefully your work will give you a trip to Australia some day.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 12:37:13 AM »
Welcome John. Enjoy!!

Steve

Offline Monty

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 02:31:48 AM »
Welcome to the forum, John! I would start with the Meng kit (It's in your hands, right?) and there are already build logs to help! But whatever you do, enjoy your modelling! Regards, Marc.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 10:39:48 AM »
Welcome aboard, John!  You're gonna love it here.  Great bunch of folks.  I agree with the rest on the Meng Dr.I being an excellent starter.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence