Author Topic: Roden seeks Forum member suggestions for new WW1 kit colour schemes  (Read 12267 times)

Offline jeroen_R90S

Re: Roden seeks Forum member suggestions for new WW1 kit colour schemes
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2020, 12:11:24 AM »
That crocodile on the Printscale sheet is neat too :)

I do wonder why they put the more or less exotic S.XII and S.XVII on that sheet.  (I'd love a Roden S.XVII but I'm probably the only one!)

Jeroen

You are not alone but considering the Small number made, and the even smaller number of known schemes My fear would be that it would not be a large seller.  Pretty much the same issue as an SXII! JMHO,
RAGIII

Yes, definately true, though Roden did give us the Siemens-Schuckert D.III and IV, and Mikro-Mir the Fokker E.V/D.VIII of which there weren't all that much built either. But they had much more interesting paint schemes and appeal, rather than being (simply put) a beefed up rounded SPAD.XIII with pretty much the same 5-colour camouflage and personal markings as the XIII... Hopefully the newly announced kits generate a pile of money until Roden no longer knows what to do with it, so they can do the XVII for us two!  ;D ;D ;D

Jeroen

Offline Monty

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2020, 01:04:06 AM »
I have been ruminating on the colour schemes... The Spad 13 schemes proposed so far are great, but Roden should maybe have one famous French ace and a few lesser known pilots per boxing, and release more than two boxings... there are so many options! The One-and-a-half Strutter has me really fired up! We mustn't forget that Roden have done many boxings of this famous plane in 1/48th - a really good kits they are!The research was done really well. Roden refined and improved the moulds as they went along and the Comic is a hum-dinger! For colour schemes the Windsock Datafile 34 is a treasure chest - that French plane from Esc. Sop. 226 on the cover (a stunning painting by Brian Knight) is simply gorgeous - who doesn't love the hatching chicken with the binoculars?? The rear colour profiles are just so wonderful too... The box top here is from the 1/48th Comic - I worked a little on the info in the left bottom corner! Please forgive me, Mr Roden!

Offline rhwinter

Offline James

Roden seeks Forum member suggestions for new WW1 kit colour schemes
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2020, 01:19:08 AM »
They are some really cool and nice Belgian Farman colors.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2020, 06:39:04 PM »
I have been ruminating on the colour schemes... The Spad 13 schemes proposed so far are great, but Roden should maybe have one famous French ace and a few lesser known pilots per boxing, and release more than two boxings... there are so many options!
the idea's good but for single seaters, they'd be wiser to not go so lean on aces.

a forum like this of hardcore enthusiasts will likely come up with some pretty obscure stuff---that won't have wider appeal. i think the relative obscurity of the markings options had a lot to do with the WNW SE5a taking so long to sell out.

the Meng DR.1 is either selling like crazy, or retailers didn't stock enough. i'm seeing it sold out at some online sellers already. i think the ratio on the Copper State Nieuport is about right. one super famous ace, some lesser known aces, and a couple of fairly obscure schemes.

Offline Pup7309

‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2020, 04:02:45 AM »
It seems every time a SPAD 13 comes out, we see Rickenbacker, Luke, Barracca, and Turrenne. 

As the Cockades are the largest decals, I would lean towards national boxings:  i.e. USAS, with 94, 95, 27 PS options among others, French 'Storks' which would include Foncke and Guynemer,  non-Storks boxing, RFC boxing, etc.  Keep in mind, this has to be boxed with the correct parts, such as wingtips, panel options etc.  If Roden needs to reach out to SPAD experts and restorers, they should and follow some of the tricks use to allow for updates to be used seamlessly.

Leave room for the decal makers too!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2020, 05:31:04 AM »
It seems every time a SPAD 13 comes out, we see Rickenbacker, Luke, Barracca, and Turrenne. 

As the Cockades are the largest decals, I would lean towards national boxings:  i.e. USAS, with 94, 95, 27 PS options among others, French 'Storks' which would include Foncke and Guynemer,  non-Storks boxing, RFC boxing, etc.  Keep in mind, this has to be boxed with the correct parts, such as wingtips, panel options etc.  If Roden needs to reach out to SPAD experts and restorers, they should and follow some of the tricks use to allow for updates to be used seamlessly.

I agree although like I said, the Aces sell kits to those that are only Marginally into WW1 stuff. One could go nuts with different versions and certain differences in SPAD production. For instance the seat has major differences between a SPAD and Kelner built version vs a Bleriot version. I hope Roden does reach out to those who know and provide the parts needed. That being said if it is not perfect it leaves room for aftermarket conversions  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2020, 02:13:03 AM »

that would be brilliant. not unprecedented, either, they did multiple boxings of the VII.

Offline Monty

« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2020, 03:05:08 AM »
There are lots of Avro 504 colour schemes - I hope Roden do more than a few! The South African Air Force used them as trainers from 1920 well into the 30's - all powered by Clerget 130 Hp engines - apparently a bit "detuned" for reliability. A single example had a four colour roundel with orange it it, this was deemed unsuitable and the four colour roundel on this Airfix kit adopted - colourful and handsome! This gave way to a three colour roundel with orange (centre) white and blue and finally to a 3 digit number on the fuselage and orange, white blue rudder stripes - Roden could easily squeeze that into the corner of the decal sheet! There was a good article in Windsock on these schemes, I just can't find it now! This model in the picture was made by one of our club members - pretty accurate, I think... I will happily do more research (for free) for Roden if they need it....

Regards,

Marc

Offline tomcervo

« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2020, 12:19:14 AM »
Yes it’s pretty cool. I’ll have to learn more about French pilots.
Excellent overview of the full spectrum--the ordinary pilots as well as the aces.
https://www.amazon.com/Kings-Air-French-Airmen-Great/dp/1783463384

Offline Europapete

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2020, 07:48:59 AM »
HA! I am reading that right now. Great book, lots of background and operational info for the French Airforce. Well worth your time. Regards, Pete in RI

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2020, 03:15:11 PM »
Yes it’s pretty cool. I’ll have to learn more about French pilots.
Excellent overview of the full spectrum--the ordinary pilots as well as the aces.
https://www.amazon.com/Kings-Air-French-Airmen-Great/dp/1783463384

Thanks! Great heads up- ordered a copy.
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2022, 05:46:32 PM »
1 1/2 Strutter „Ariel“ in which Captain Beauchamp flew a bomb-raid on Essen (Krupp steel-works) in Germany in 1916!! He also did an even more spectacular bomb raid on Munich, Bavaria, later that year: Took off in France in the morning, dropped bombs on Munich at noon, crossed the Alps (!) and landed in Venice, Italy, for supper!