Author Topic: Oeffag Albatros D-III 1/33rd Paper Card Model by Fitter and Repainted by Matt77  (Read 1655 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

All,
Here is a neat model that I think is rather pretty and elegant when done.

Fitter's paper kit went together very well.  I'm not a fan of 9 fuselage segments but aside from my butchering of some of the seams, it all turned out pretty well.  I'd also make the struts slimmer to be more scale but that's just me.  As designed, it's a looker.  Doesn't hurt to have Matt77's repainting.  Phenomenal.

I only changed a few things like using balsa for formers instead of cardboard (as usual with these), added some wire for the plumbing and strut innards, a foot step on the front landing gear leg and filled/sanded/airbrushed the petal nose to make it look nicer.  The "petal" refers to how the paper needs to be cut like a flower to end up with a smooth, convex nose.  I also added pulled plastic sprue gun troughs that I drilled out on the end. My rigging was simply EZ-line and super glue.  The wheels are sandwiched balsa with paper hubs.

A really neat addition to any WWI collection and looks significantly different than other Albatros fighters too!  I really like the colors, the scalloped elevator and different engine along with the convex nose.  And WNW will never make one!!

Be warned...a DV will be next!  ;D

Thanks for looking,
Dan
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 01:37:18 PM by NinetythirdLiberator »

:)

Offline Radarman

Dan,
That's another beauty. The paper models have really been getting some great exposure as a result of your skill.
I can't wait to see what's coming of your printer next. Thanks for the entertainment.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline smperry

Dan
Looks like it is ready to fly over the Alps and tangle with the Italians on the other side.

You mentioned EZ line and CA. Did you poke a hole for the line or simply CA it where strut and wing meet?
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

Another Paper Beauty Dan! Outstanding construction and the scheme is gorgeous! I really hope to have a plastic kit in 1/32nd scale someday, mostly as a result of your build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

Dan, yet another beautiful paper model aircraft from your bench!  I really like the overall look and feel of this Alby Oeffag.  It looks great!  Thanks for showing us the way. ;D  Very well done.

Best,

Bob

Thanks, Everyone!  It was a fun and rather quick project.
SP: in this case, I just glued directly except for the anti-drag wires (that one at the fuse is put in a hole!).  Sometimes, I make little turnbuckles and just glue the line to those.  I just got lazy... ;D

Dan

Offline FAf

Looks absolutely fantastic! It makes me want to try my hand at paper modelling...
/Fredrik

Offline jeroen_R90S

That is some seriously impressive modelling! :) Really nice!

Thank you very much, Fredrik and Jeroen.  You should definitely give it a whirl.  There are many really neat subjects...

Cheers,
Dan
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:04:36 AM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Offline lone modeller

Another of your gems Dan. I can s easily be misled into thinking that these are plastic models. You really have got the art of building these to a very high standard and you make it all look so easy. That is the mark of a true master modeller.

Stephen.

Thank you, Stephen!  I still contend that with your scratch-building prowess, you'd have a field day with one of these...

I think it's a cunning plan.

Much appreciated,
Dan  :D