Author Topic: Seeking images for a Blue Max Tiger Moth build  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Seeking images for a Blue Max Tiger Moth build
« on: September 07, 2020, 10:14:01 PM »
This is off topic but still in the spirit of the Forum, but I'm preparing to do a long-intended project of making a Revell/ Matchbox 1/32 scale DH Tiger Moth in the lozenge markings scheme of the Blue Max movie.

Back in the 1960s I made various Aurora kits in Blue Max movie markings ( the lozenges were hand painted!) so the plan is to do that again, but in 1/32 scale!

I'm using a Blu Ray print of the movie for reference but am looking for photos of Tiger Moths in the lozenge scheme. They were mainly just background fillers so close up photos are rare. As well as the German scheme there's also a British option but it's not as appealing.

If anyone has some good photos of the Blue Max Tiger Moths I'd love to hear from you.

Re lozenges, I know there are some aftermarket decals for the movie lozenges but their colours are quite different to the shades and tones of the lozenges as depicted by the film stock used by 20th Century Fox. So my model has to look exactly like the aircraft on screen.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline rhallinger

Re: Seeking images for a Blue Max Tiger Moth build
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 02:11:56 AM »
I can’t help with photos Dave, but I must say that I love this project for a couple of reasons.  I was just a kid when I saw this film in the local theater in the 60s, and boy was I ever hooked!  There’s powerful nostalgia here, and also with going back and re-doing those builds from childhood.  I am doing much the same with other models.  I will follow your progress with much joy and remembrance.  Thanks for sharing this. ;D

Best regards,

Bob

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 10:19:36 AM »
Hi Dave - I have some additional images, see below. Not sure if these are any use. Some are pretty poor quality.

Not sure if you have seen this site - it has some other good general reference material from the making of the movie.

http://donhollway.com/bluemax/

I do have an idea to do a 1/72 German and Brit tiger moth from the movie, and perhaps have them in an in-flight 'dog fight' on a stand... but that's but a mere idea at this stage.

Cheers,

BC

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 09:02:57 AM »
Dave, forgive me if I missed it - what stage are you at on this build? As I've done my own in 1/72 I'd love to see her in The Proper Scale  ;)
45492519282_88430f9884_o by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Zac in NZ