Author Topic: Tube Squashing/ Flattening tool ?  (Read 1786 times)

Offline RAGIII

Tube Squashing/ Flattening tool ?
« on: September 02, 2020, 04:52:50 AM »
My work on the Three Hobby Craft SPAD XIII kits has made Me realize that I NEED a tool for shaping tube into airfoil sections. This is the only Method I see that can add enough strength to a SPAD H strut to allow for rigging. So My question is what is the best, and also the most economical tool available? Thanks for any assistance!
RAGIII

I have two Roden SPAD VIIs to build and there is the Possible Roden XIII looming on the Horizon  8)
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Flute

Re: Tube Squashing/ Flattening tool ?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 05:16:03 AM »
AFAIK the only such tool is 'the Strutter' by Albion Alloys, but it doesn't seem to be currently in production. There is a newish set of metal reinforced resin struts from Constanza, in either 1/72nd or 1/48 and larger. Only ever seen them at the Aviation Megastore in the Netherlands, and although alerted by the GWSIG newsletter Cher Ami I still haven't met anyone who has used them. Here's the link to the in-stock 1/48th items, but postage to the States would almost certainly be a killer. Bad enough to me, and I live in Scotland.  https://www.aviationmegastore.com/constanza-struts-large-for-148-and-larger-con6048048-constanza-kits-con6048048-vliegtuig-bouwmodellen-detaileringssets/product/?action=prodinfo&art=168394

Paul.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 05:55:36 AM »
Thanks for the link Paul. I know that Bo made one for Fokker tubing that was/is available through Shapeways. I hope I can come up with something before I get to the Next SPAD builds, as I see No other real option other than an aftermarket company making pre drilled brass or aluminum H struts  :P
RAGIII

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 02:59:23 PM »
I had a discussion about this some time ago and she suggested an alternative.
She is (among many creative things) a ring maker and has done many juwelry courses.
There are items called juwelers drawing plates, items used to form silver and gold in to many shapes, There are sets that are tearshaped, perhaps even airfoil shaped and brass tube should be soft or defomable enough to be shaped in this way.
I did not look further is this as there are some drawbacks, it might be very hard to get straight pieces and I don't see an easy way to get a core in there if you would want that as an attechment piont, but it is maybe an option.
I saw several on ebay for decent prices around $15-$25 range, perhaps it is an alternative?

kind regards Hidde van der Donk from Holland

Offline ermeio

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 09:39:26 PM »
I use a  Light-Duty Vice 100mm 4 -inch for 1/72 and brass tubes. Anyway the section is more ellipsoidal than an egg-like profile

It would be great if the clamp available in Shapeway was longer

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 10:52:38 PM »
   I've searched for a "Strutter" from Albion worth less then a mortgage on my home seemingly forever with no success. It is long out of production. A very good alternative, packages of assorted brass preformed solid rods of aerofoil shape labelled "Strutz" used to be sold by AeroClub, that product too has followed the DoDo Bird into extinction. I wonder if Albion still has the hardware or source to produce a re-run of the "Strutter"? Seems to me it's a critical part of the Scratch Builder's tool box that would be commercially viable.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Radarman

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 03:11:16 AM »
RAGIII,
I just bought one from here:

https://www.microworldgamesllc.com/product.sc?productId=8067&categoryId=602

They shipped fast, no snags.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 06:57:06 AM »
RAGIII,
I just bought one from here:

https://www.microworldgamesllc.com/product.sc?productId=8067&categoryId=602

They shipped fast, no snags.

Kevin

First, thanks to ALL for the responses! Kevin, I really appreciate the link and hope they still have one when I can come up with the cash  ;D
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 10:05:33 AM »
Hey Rick , I just use a regular hobby bench vice for flatten brass or alum tubing . I place the brass tubing between two pieces of hardwood place in vice and tighten it up . Not 100 % perfect and a bit of filing might be need . But works pretty darn good .
I pick my up at Home Depot 25 bucks Cdn .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 10:49:56 AM »
Same here - a bench vice with smooth jaws.  I put a small brass rod through the tube to get a consistent shape and it provides mounting pins on each end.

Offline ermeio

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 09:57:24 PM »
Rick - last I checked Bo still makes a 3D printed one for DVII struts. I have one and tinkered with it with mixed results.

Steve

Yes I have it and I used it with good results - as I told in a previous post, I'd need a longer dime ; anyway except for the struts between the wings, I prefer to use a vice with two aluminium L-forms to press a copper tube... with some practice I obtained very good results
Anyway, I miss the Strutz very much... they were really superb

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 10:01:04 PM »
I should read details......

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 11:18:45 PM »
  .............  and I should be more organized! I had meant to order one earlier, forgot, and now it is "out of stock"! :'(
Cheers,
Lance