Author Topic: Oeffag Albatros D-III 1/33rd by Fitter and Repainted by Matt77  (Read 8543 times)

Offline rhallinger

Re: Oeffag Albatros D-III 1/33rd by Fitter and Repainted by Matt77
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2020, 08:18:36 PM »
Dan, the completed top wing looks first rate. I noticed that you have rolled the forward fuselage sections without bulkheads at this point. How do you ensure that the sections will meet the fuselage cross-section without the bulkheads in place, or am I missing something?  Are you relying on the kit part sizing on paper, and then matching the cylindrical section to the bulkhead when you assemble the section?  Just curious, for future reference.

This model is looking so nice!  I’m looking forward to seeing how the forward fuselage and bottom wings go together.  Nice work and great progress!

Best,

Bob

Online NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2020, 02:44:03 AM »
Thanks SP and Bob!

Bob:  I tend to make the strips first assuming that, if cut correctly, they are the right size.  Then I can tweak the bulkhead to fit the strip.  It's nice using balsa so sanding them down is easy and if I cut them too small, small strips of masking tape around the edge of the bulkhead will make it a tiny bit bigger.  This one is especially odd since I can't figure out exactly how the front is supposed to go and which formers go where.  I'm working on the tip of the nose now and that's ok...it's the area/transition from the cockpit area to engine that has be taking pause...

Hope that helps.

Dan

Offline Gene K

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2020, 04:01:03 AM »
Dan,

I assume by "strips" you're referring to the individual fuselage pieces ... vice joining strips. You're obviously skilled in butt joining, but in my incompetence, I find butting pieces a pain, and not very precise as concerns getting a clean join. I'm lazy, but evidently not alone since many paper model experts fabricate joining strips if none are provided in the kit ... as illustrated here http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/89214-post8.html.  An easy way to make joining strips is to print extra fuselage pieces and cut the strips from the edges of those spare pieces, thus matching shape and coloring.  Trim the bulkheads to sit behind or on the strips.

Gene K

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2020, 08:27:21 AM »
That's true, Gene.  I am trying to do butt joints just because that's the way the kit was designed and I'm trying to make it look as nice as I can.  The individual sections of fuselage skin have connecting strips, just no strips between skin/former sub units.

I got the front done!  I figured out the directions a bit and realized that the engine area has doubled-up formers with wood effect because you will be able to see inside the engine bay.  Once I figured that out, things went well.  Lots of careful sanding and fitting, fitting, fitting. 

I also installed one delicate former sandwiched together and glued it "proud" on the end so protruding lip acted as a ledge for the adjoining piece rather than putting formers in each tube.  The front formers are also very delicate and thin so I left them whole until I got the skins on.  Then I daisy-chain drilled holes and separated the cut outs. 

Lastly...and most importantly...the weird (to me) angular ears worked great once dimwit realized that you needed to pre-fold the skins and actually fit them around those sharp edges.  Then, things fit like a puzzle.  Needs some burnishing and touch-up but pretty nice. 

Next will be trying to figure out the cockpit area which is still a bit odd to me.  Just keep forging ahead! 

Thanks for looking...Dan  ;)

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2020, 08:28:57 AM »
 :)

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2020, 08:29:14 AM »
 ;)

Offline smperry

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2020, 09:13:38 AM »
First rate modeling Dan. You made the design work and work darn well. There is an immense amount of information packed into the sketches that pass for instructions on some of these models. I expect their European origins require ideas to be expressed with a minimum of language so as to increase marketability outside the designer's home country. The rules seem to be: Never state something twice. Never state the obvious. And only hint at the subtle .
You did great figuring it all out.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2020, 02:08:34 PM »
Thanks, SP!

This is my last update for tonight...I promise...

I have only one segment left as you can see.  I got the main cockpit part installed but only by cutting off a large section of the rear floor board and basically sanding it flat with my Dremel.  Then it sat nicely up against the clover bulkhead no sweat!  Not sure what I did wrong there but I made it work.  ::)

I also put on the cockpit edging.  I may put some louvers and inspection panels on tonight, or go out and look at Saturn and Jupiter with my telescope.  Hmmm...maybe I should get off my sorry behind!

We'll see if I can get the rest of the main fuselage done tomorrow.  Then we'll work on the lower wing, engine and front cowling which is a "tulip" cut design to make the curves.  Hold on tight...

Dan

Offline smperry

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2020, 02:28:54 PM »
Love it! You are handling that fuselage.
sp
(Who is going twitchy trying not to paw the Berg while the top wing dries.)
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2020, 04:21:01 AM »
Looking as amazing as always!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gomidefilho

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2020, 07:05:07 AM »
Wonderful and meticulous build! Well done!

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2020, 10:14:16 AM »
Well...got her done but not beautifully.  I fear this one will be a 3 footer.  Marco's art all lines up perfectly, but I too now agree that there are too many segments!  Of course, I am no designer so that's not a shot at Fitter by any means.  I just don't know if there could be an alternative...I'd be for it!  ;D

I'll work on the bottom wing and then start the engine.  I do think it will be a pretty cool machine in any event...

Thanks for looking...Dan

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2020, 01:37:57 PM »
Lower wings done and test fitted.  Itching to get some struts done now!
Cheers,
Dan
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 02:23:31 PM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Offline smperry

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2020, 01:54:36 PM »
You are really bustin this one out Dan. It looks so much better made up in 3D as opposed to looking at the parts sheets in 2D.

My back has gone out on me again and I haven't done a thing with models today, so it is really good to see your progress.
sp

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2020, 02:31:09 PM »
She’s looking really lovely Dan!  Can’t wait for those struts and final assembly. ;D

Best,

Bob