Author Topic: Roden 1/48 SE5a Hispano Suiza  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Roden 1/48 SE5a Hispano Suiza
« on: August 30, 2020, 09:16:10 PM »
Some models are a fun build and one that meets this criteria is Roden's nice 1/48 scale SE5a Hispano Suiza.

I'm currently making this kit in the markings of Queensland, Australian ace Stan Dallas ( well the Forum is based in Queensland so we have to recognise our local aces!).

Dallas' unusual colour scheme is being recreated with Vallejo and Humbrol acrylic paints- the model is brush painted- with very simplified rigging of electrical fuse wire rolled rigid on a glass surface and fixed with clear PVA cement. The base is a picture frame from a thrift shop with model railway scenic grass glued on with PVA glue.

There's still some way to with the rigging but she's at a point where it can be shown.

Not sure yet whether to add some ground crew figures...

Roden kits build into very nice scale replicas.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline smperry

Re: Roden 1/48 SE5a Hispano Suiza
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 09:53:41 PM »
How cool! Never seen that camo scheme before. Really good that you commemorate a local Ace. I have been eyeing this kit for a while and it is really nice to know someone thinks it was a fun build. That just kicked it up a few notches on my list.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 10:42:39 PM »
Dave,
     Nice to see the unique "Dallas scheme" done up, it's a refreshing change from the standard PC.10 and white letters. As for supporting your local heroes what can I say ...... I go to all lengths to find "Canadian Content" on my projects!
     Looking very nice at this stage, and the base is a nice touch.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline macsporran

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 11:16:53 PM »
Lovely stuff. You can never have enough SE5s and this one's progressing very nicely. Somehow the camo gives an already aggressive looking machine an even more pugnacious look.
S

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 12:01:56 AM »
Add the crew Dave , you know you want to ;)

Excellent build and in a scheme not often done .

I built this kit a long time ago but it is one that didn't survive Blau when he was Katzen (kitten )

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 01:11:21 AM »
Quite a unique camo scheme.  If it weren't for this forum, a lot of these unusual aircraft would never be known outside of special interest groups.  Thanks for posting this, Dave.

Bughunter

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 03:24:11 AM »
Very nice!

I was not aware of this camo, until Eduard has it as option for the Hispano Suiza Profipack of their great 1/48 kit:
https://www.eduard.com/eduard/se-5a-hispano-suiza-1-48.html

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Vickers

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 04:52:08 AM »
Nice work, Dave! I also enjoyed building the 1/48th Roden SE5. I didn't get a chance to put an Eduard version on my bench before going on my prolonged hiatus. I wonder whether Dallas' camouflage influenced the 'trench fighter' schemes such as those found on the Salamander.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 06:19:58 AM »
Lovely looking model there. Nice to see that someone else uses the rolled wire technique for rigging - much easier than thread IMHO.

Another new scheme to me too - and thanks for the historical notes. So much to learn, so little time to learn it all!

Stephen.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 11:22:42 AM »
As the Dallas SE5a scheme is quite unorthodox, here's a reference image of the man in his aircraft.

As well as Roden, the Dallas scheme features in the Eduard SE5a Hispano Suiza too.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 02:29:34 AM »
Your SE and it's unusual Camo look awesome Dave! The Roden kit builds up nicely!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 09:28:29 AM »
Looking great Dave! I have this scheme on my 'to do' list eventually as well.

Cheers,

BC

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 12:23:24 PM »
Nice work Dave :D It's great to see Stan's colourful bird depicted. It's a very unusual scheme for the time, it almost has a WWII feel to it. This is the scheme I'm planning on doing for my WNW SE5a when I get around to it ::). Out of curiosity, other than the base PC-10, what other colours did you settle on? I worked on the assumption that the ground crew probably mixed the paint from supplies and recipes available to them coming up with something like: Base PC-10, Lighter camo patches of PC-9 or PC-12 with white mixed in to create the (Buff?) lighter tone and PC-12 as the darker demarcation lines to break up the PC-10 and the lighter colour. Anyway, It's nice to see a local ace get some love!

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 04:09:23 PM »
Thanks for the supportive feedback folks- much appreciated. Aspects of the finish lack fine detail but I have to adapt the modelling to conform with health issues ( diabetic hand nerve issues etc). This does not take the fun away from modelling but does focus the mind on adapting to the challenges.

Black Max 72- Dave my paint mixes are a real "eye of newt and leg of toad" combination of hand mixed acrylic colours. The PC10 green is Humbrol 155 (Wingnuts' recommended PC10 colour), the chocolate brown is Vallejo Model Color chocolate brown and the light buff is a real hodge podge of Citadel shades, all geared to interpret the photo and various side profile interpretations of same. As I'm a brush painter I default to paints that brush well and don't leave visible marks when dry.

I'm not 100 per cent happy with the buff tones but it's a great excuse to do this subject again one day. The SE5a is my favourite aircraft so I never tire of making them.

And it all started because of this moment in "The Blue Max"

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Offline smperry

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 04:37:54 PM »
I'm an SE.5a fan too Dave. At age 8 I saved my 35 cents a week allowance for almost 3 months to buy a baseball glove. I came home with a Guillows SE.5 paper and stick kit. Been kinda that way ever since.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.