Author Topic: Morane-Saulnier Type I, Conversion Eduard 1/48  (Read 3301 times)

Bughunter

Morane-Saulnier Type I, Conversion Eduard 1/48
« on: August 26, 2020, 06:49:41 AM »
Morane-Saulnier Type I  

The model number 6 of 2020 is a Morane-Saulnier Type I in Russian service.
It is in 1/48 and was converted from a Morane-Saulnier Type N kit made by Eduard. A lot of scratch work was needed, e.g. the skis, which are soldered from brass pipes and sheets. A problem was the huge cockpit windshield. After several failed attempts I put the project aside so it was paused for a year.
A wooden airscrew was made as for my other biplanes, but here lightly overpainted with brown as done on French aircrafts. Depending on light the layers are still visible. The engine is a Le Rhone 9J 110hp rotary engine, here a resin kit by Small Stuff. Since the engine is much bigger compared to the 80hp of the Type N the fuselage of the kit needs also modifications. The rigging uses turnbuckles from Gaspatch, which made also the Vickers Gun.
The paint job was done with Mr.Paint and Alclad, the light weathering with oils.
A big thanks to the modelers who provided the decals!

The impetus of the project - a painting by Brian Knight on the title of the Windsock Datafile 58.

A virtual walk around the small aircraft, have fun!

With the brother "Type N"

And the final place in the cabinet - a nice variety with the skis.

It was a very special project!

For more information you can view a detailed build report:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10422.0

Happy modeling,
Frank

Offline O_Pablo

Re: Morane-Saulnier Type I, Conversion Eduard 1/48
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 06:55:34 AM »
Beautiful but miss the jagged trailing line  ;).

Regards,
Paul

Offline Mmarchal

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 08:36:00 AM »
Cool conversion. Looks a bit different, well done!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 10:39:08 AM »
She looks good in the display case Frank  :) I have the Flashback kit and it has these scheme . If memory serves me the cowl decking is PE part .

I really like the scheme , very sharp indeed !

So what's next ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline crouthaj

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 10:39:18 AM »
Excellent wing ribs and turnbuckles! - beautiful work.

Offline xan

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 05:25:13 PM »
Fantastic work. I follow the step by step and your work is amazing and this mount went imediatly in my favorites...
One detail about the N you show ; It is really well done, but  I am afraid french N noises were paint in black, english N noises were painted in red....
Anyway it is a fantastic collection you have here
congratulations!

Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 06:36:52 PM »
That's an outstanding model Frank and one that's motivating me to get on with the Special Hobby 1/32 Morane Saulnier N in the stash. It's an appealing subject and your 1/48 Eduard conversion is superbly finished. Many thanks for sharing it with us.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 06:50:19 PM »
Beautiful build of one of my favourite planes! Even if it was a dog to fly it’s a fab looking plane in my view and the Russian variants add even more interest. Well done!

Offline macsporran

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 07:29:17 PM »
Masterpiece.
S

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 07:43:16 PM »
Outstanding work, Frank! there is so much to look at, all those little details... A real masterpiece!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 01:51:59 AM »
Lost for words with the details that you have added to this kit. An excellent build log and a super model as a result. A mini-masterpiece.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 04:23:26 AM »
Thank you all for your kind comments. Highly appreciated!

So what's next ?
Terri, I don't know, what to touch now. I have less time now, and there are still some unfinished birds. And after two projects finished in a short time frame I may need some days off and should clean the bench in between ::)

One detail about the N you show ; It is really well done, but  I am afraid french N noises were paint in black, english N noises were painted in red....
Xan, yes I know now. It was explained in the completed posting of the N. I followed simply the Eduard manual and have built it secretly as a surprise for a modeler meeting, so nobody could inform me during the build.
On the other hand it is stated in the Datafile, that the RFC Moranes had repainted the black parts in red to differentiate them form Fokker and Pfalz monoplanes. It is clear stated, that the French are informed about that directive. There is only no evidence, that the French Moranes are repainted or not.
So let's assume in case of my Morane, that they followed that directive too  8)

one that's motivating me to get on with the Special Hobby 1/32 Morane Saulnier N in the stash.
It is always good to have some companies doing WWI aircrafts, hopefully in all scales. Have fun with that kit!

Thanks again,
Frank

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 08:58:40 AM »
Mighty pretty, Frank.  Mighty pretty!

Thanks for the build thread, too.  Lots of demonstrations of what's possible to do.

Bughunter

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 08:58:00 PM »
Thank you Ken!
A detailed build report cause some effort, but if some of you likes it and gives feedback from time to time, then it is worth it.

Cheers,
Frank

Online RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 11:00:06 PM »
Stunning results Frank! Everything you did to this one is Top Notch work! I really enjoyed your build Thread and May be inspired to get the 1/32nd Morane  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler